Opossum Playing Dead

That’s odd, opossums don’t usually play dead. It had obviously been scared by something before you went out. When approached by predators, when an opossum plays dead, it can badly injure them.
Yep, and now that he's been dispatched, he sees that he should've roamed elsewhere, as he's roamed into the light.

We have had a couple here over the years. They have found their way into the light too. Come anywhere near my girls or their house & it's on. And I am an equal opportunity dispatcher for those equal opportunity predators.

That's what opossums do, play dead. Years ago 2 of my dogs went out into the yard and a opossum played dead the whole time they ran around it, sniffed it, etc. Luckily it did or my dogs would have been badly injured or dead.
As for the opossum and chickens. I have opossum in my yard every night. They never show an interest in the fact there are two chickens being housed right next to where the opossum are sniffy the ground. I have never seen them even sniff n and around the run nor try to get in. Thankfully.
Oh and the saying "playing opossum" means playing dead, like the opossum do.
But opossums are less likely to do it. It can badly injure them. They are better off acting alive than dead. I am a opossum trapper for some friends, and I have caught quite a few, about ten. Not one has ever played dead. Playing dead is not a good thing for opossums, that is why they are less likely to play dead.

But opossums are less likely to do it. It can badly injure them. They are better off acting alive than dead. I am a opossum trapper for some friends, and I have caught quite a few, about ten. Not one has ever played dead. Playing dead is not a good thing for opossums, that is why they are less likely to play dead.

It is your experience, as a human, that they don't "play dead".

You're making it sound like the "act" itself can injure them, but it doesn't, the results of acting like that can get them injured, but as has been stated, it is usually the best thing to do, or, the best thing that can happen if it's true it isn't voluntary.

It IS a good thing for them to do, or they wouldn't have found all that success from Virginia to Up here.

Forgive me, but all those thoughts are very human. Terribly wrong.

Sorce

I indicated in first couple of post how dogs respond to active versus playing dead opossums. I have also dealt with a lot more than 10 opossums, greater than 10 in the last year alone. Playing dead with my dogs makes so dogs do not maul it. Running or trying to fight back greatly increases odds dog will maul. Mauling is not good for opossums.

It is your experience, as a human, that they don't "play dead".

You're making it sound like the "act" itself can injure them, but it doesn't, the results of acting like that can get them injured, but as has been stated, it is usually the best thing to do, or, the best thing that can happen if it's true it isn't voluntary.

It IS a good thing for them to do, or they wouldn't have found all that success from Virginia to Up here.

Forgive me, but all those thoughts are very human. Terribly wrong.

Sorce
When they play dead, animals can grab them, and/or shake them etc. which can injure bones and so on. I am not saying they don’t do it, but it is usually not good for them. They can also be injured while crossing the road and playing dead. They can get hit by cars and hurt (not killed) by animals which can lead them to a suffering life.

When they play dead, animals can grab them, and/or shake them etc. which can injure bones and so on. I am not saying they don’t do it, but it is usually not good for them. They can also be injured while crossing the road and playing dead. They can get hit by cars and hurt (not killed) by animals which can lead them to a suffering life.
What did I say dog did in response to opossum playing dead?

Back
Top Bottom