Opossum

Newt46

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2020
So I’ve had my ducks in my yard with no issues. They are only out when we are home other wise they have a decent sized pen with a house inside, however I don’t have anything underneath their house yet so im worried something can dig under. I saw in my bush tonight there was a baby opossum in there, he is not a super small baby but definitely a baby and not anywhere near full grown, he doesn’t seem like he has a mom or siblings or anything, he looked freighted to me, he didn’t run away when he saw me but I’m not sure if I should be concerned about my ducks, I don’t know if he’s big enough to hurt them, I’d rather not kill him, just looking for some advice on what I should do, or if I should call anyone since he’s a baby.

I applaud you for not killing him; many folks would. Maybe you could call the DNR and see what they would advise? Or, if they would deal with the baby? A DNR officer came out to my property and relocated an adolescent owl, who had knocked itself silly hitting a guy wire while trying to get to my runner ducks. Like yours, my ducks are securely housed at night and allowed out only when I am home during the day.

I have live trapped and/or hand caught opossums, (always while wearing very thick gloves) and relocated them myself. Unfortunately, I took a lot of heat from a BYC member who thought I should have killed it instead. I don't understand killing wild things that aren't harming me or mine.

Plus, truth be told, I kind of like the little "grinnies." I once thought I was feeding a feral cat in one of my hay sheds -- until the day a happy, little opossum looked up from the back of the shed and flashed me a nervous smile. I quit putting cat food in the hay shed, and he moved on fairly quickly.

Good luck dealing with your little one!

If not super small means more than nine inches (not including tail) it's just how it goes with opossums. Mom abandons you under a bush when you're still a long way from full grown.

It'll probably move along.

I applaud you for not killing him; many folks would. Maybe you could call the DNR and see what they would advise? Or, if they would deal with the baby? A DNR officer came out to my property and relocated an adolescent owl, who had knocked itself silly hitting a guy wire while trying to get to my runner ducks. Like yours, my ducks are securely housed at night and allowed out only when I am home during the day.

I have live trapped and/or hand caught opossums, (always while wearing very thick gloves) and relocated them myself. Unfortunately, I took a lot of heat from a BYC member who thought I should have killed it instead. I don't understand killing wild things that aren't harming me or mine.

Plus, truth be told, I kind of like the little "grinnies." I once thought I was feeding a feral cat in one of my hay sheds -- until the day a happy, little opossum looked up from the back of the shed and flashed me a nervous smile. I quit putting cat food in the hay shed, and he moved on fairly quickly.

Good luck dealing with your little one!
Thank you so much for your advice, he doesn’t seem aggressive at all I’ll have to get some thick gloves. What kind of traps do you use? I’ve been thinking about getting some

I have a couple of Havahart traps.

I have been able to corner and pick up a few opossums over the years, while wearing thick gloves. In my experience, if you grab an opossum by the tail and lift it up, it can't whip around to bite you, even if it were so inclined. As soon as I snag the poor thing, I quickly pop it into a tote or strong box for relocation.

Back
Top Bottom