Oprah Oct 14th on treatment of meat animals

I agree with many of you - dog breeders aren't all puppy mills, etc. I know my fiance and I have a problem with a certain egg battery, but when we watched a show on TV last night about how they process eggs, the battery that they showed was unnamed, but not nearly as bad and the certain battery we have a problem with.

I enjoy most episodes of Oprah, my least favorite are gossipy ones about movie people that don't matter to me. But all in all I believe Oprah is one of the few angels out there.

Anywhoo.. I'll be tuned in tomorrow.. the advert I saw asked "whats the difference between cage free, free range.. etc" something like that. I think it's always good to hear what other people are saying, true or not. Education includes all information IMO

All animals for human comsumption should live at the Hilton, be hand feed, bathed everyday, until their time has come and then ride in limo there, red, carpet...etc.......

Quote:
And tht IS a good point because people automatically conjure up images of certain things when they hear those words which may or may not be true.

Nothing wrong with fair and balanced education, so hopefully that is what she'll deliver.
smile.png

Quote:
I am glad to hear that from someone in the know. Its easy to hear the bad parts and think thats standard.

On the flip side, the bad guys need to be exposed.

I've decided to tape it but not sure if I'll watch until I hear your views of the show. I just can't take the heartbreak of watching animals suffer. I leased a horse for my son over the summer and they had chickens. The chickens were cooped up in a 10x10 pen and never allowed to get out. The worst thing was their water. It never was changed. I would change it myself and it was hard to stomach...literally. I would gag and gag from the stench. I told the owner how upset it made me, but he insisted the water was changed almost everyday. NO WAY!!! The bottom of the coop was a cesspool where the water seeped in and did not drain. You could smell it a mile away. Those poor birds. Of course he "hid" this chicken coop way back where no one leasing horses could see it. I just happened to hear crowing one day.
I do NOT lease from him anymore.
I say if you don't know how to take care of animals properly then don't get them.

On top of that, I knew someone who was so poor she could hardly feed her family, but for some reason kept taking in stray dogs that were never fixed, hence more puppies and no money to feed these poor animals. I think it's documented as a mental illness to hoard animals with no means to take care of them. Just makes me sick.

Quote:
Sure, and terminally ill humans should be shoved in tiny cages stacked twenty high and left to wallow in their own feces while the guy in the next cage picks at their bedsores. I mean they're just gonna die anyway, right?

I would not believe even a small fraction of the garbage Oprah spews. She can not be trusted on any subject. Shows like this have an agenda. It will not be "fair and balanced". One can always find evidence (of varying amounts) of wrongs in any profession. They will take what little there is and blow it up to give everyone in the field (farms) a bad name. This will instantly make everyone who has no first hand experience with farming, suspect ALL farmers of abuse.
One might be able to find "abuse" on one farm and instantly a show like this just demonizes all farms of the same nature. If the show was about one specific farm with a specific abuse that is different. I would be willing to bet, for fear of lawsuit, no specific place or company will be mentioned. It will all be hidden cameras with names and faces blurred out.
IF indeed there is a problem, prosecute and move on. What good does it do to put this on tv except to stir the masses to a frenzy (of which they know not why) and to raise her ratings among the liberal wackos.

Last edited:
As far as Oprah...I have much respect for her and all she has done for others.

It is good for people to realize what they eat and where IT could come from if they do not make educated and informed decisions. Simple as that. Many people are out of touch.

Everyone should have enough brains to understand that EVERYTHING they watch on tv has a slant to it. Sure, her show may have a slant, but there is also a take away from it.

Maybe I just give people the benefit of the doubt in that they can understand that, but then again, I'm one of those "liberal whackos"......
frow.gif
lau.gif

Quote:
I would not believe a fraction of what ANY corporation told me and yes, Oprah is a corporation. With that being said I disagree strongly with blanket type statements like the one highlighted.

The FDA & EPA employees are no longer protecting the rights of the consumers. Lobbyists & the revolving door policy of employees going from places like Monsanto & then back to work @ the FDA is a case in point. But not all employees are sitting back on their laurels racking in corporate $ some truly make an effort & most get punished for it. Whistle blowing is a sure way to get fired, so we don't see us much of it as we used to. How about protecting those who really are trying to make a difference...Mary Gade comes to mind here.....

That Oprah is doing anything to help shed light on the situation is "a good thing" you all that want to believe that your food is safe - take a deep breath, clear your mind & do some research.

I could provide many a link but most of you would say that the links have their own agenda to push - do which I would respond - well duh! But my opinion is they are just pushing back against the propaganda pushed on us in millions of $ in advertising trying to make us believe that all is "right with the world". Why do we have our own chickens if we think that all is well?

rBGH is about to be taken off the market. Canada & Europe NEVER allowed to begin with - what, we didn't have the information to begin with? Hogwash!

Yes, I am sure that they will show the worst but if a news crew can find the worst why can't the FDA & EPA? I mean, that is their job.

Personally I have had a grudge against Oprah since her & the like of Sally Jesse Raphael, Geraldo & others nudged Donahue out of the market. Donahue & Nader taught me at an early age not to blindly believe what corporations "feed" you.

Known carcinogens in eye make up - do you realize just how permeable your eyes are? The male contraceptive pill squashed because of side effects, yet they were less dangerous then the females. Nader talking about the Pinto before they were recalled.....
barnie.gif

I will shut up now. Those of you with open minds can do your own research & those of you who blindly believe, always will & nothing I can say can change that. So good luck with that.

IF indeed there is a problem, prosecute and move on. What good does it do to put this on tv except to stir the masses to a frenzy (of which they know not why) and to raise her ratings among the liberal wackos.

That is just it, they are not prosecuting, "stir the masses into a frenzy" - when have we been anymore apathetic? Good Grief Charlie Brown!
he.gif
Last I checked knowledge is power. Heaven forbid that the average Joe Blow ever get any of that.

Ok I am done ranting for today, thanks for listening/reading.

Signed
Proud to be a Whacko - not so sure about the "liberal" label though....
duc.gif

Back
Top Bottom