Options for egg bound bantam pullet

Pics
This is my first time losing a grown chicken. Is it normal for them to lay their heads straight back, onto their backs? I'm not trying to be gruesome, at all. I guess I'm just trying to get a handle on things and try to understand better. She positioned herself like I imagine a bird with wry neck would. Maybe the amount of blood she lost caused a deficiency or maybe this is what they do.

Should I drip some Corid on the beaks of the 4 bantam pullets in her flock? Just as a precaution? Of course their water will have 2 teaspoons of Corid as well.

You never have to worry that treating your flock with Corid is undesirable or harmful. It's such an innocuous med, only blocking one B-vitamin, that it's always better to treat than not.

I agree with @Wyorp Rock that the antibiotic is unnecessary at this time, but the second you see blood in the stools, an antibiotic, usually sulfa, is useful in heading off necrotic enteritis.

I have new baby chicks right now, going into their second week, and also some fourteen-week olds. I am not happy with their poop, so they are getting a round of Corid. It's always best to play it safe if coccidiosis is even remotely suspected.

I completely agree that a necropsy on Raymona is a good idea. Refrigerate her body and call your university extension office and ask about how to contact the state lab. They will instruct you how to ship. Or it may be within driving distance and you can deliver her yourself.

I'm going to go ahead and treat all of the flocks and chicks (minus ducks of course). I believe I will drench any acting different, to get them a good dosage to start with.
I placed her body in the refrigerator. Since it's Friday, I'll have to wait until Monday to send her body off.
Even though I lost her, I am still so grateful for the care, support and wonderful advice I received. I believe Raymona felt the love as well. I wouldn't be able to have peace about knowing that I tried to help her, without the guidance I received. Thank you for helping me. I will be forever grateful

@azygous @Wyorp Rock I have two 14 month old hens that are beginning to molt (I strongly believe but this is my first time with adult chicken molting). I have fowl pox (it's all been dry pox so far) slowly creeping it's way through my flocks. Of course the heat we're experiencing here in NC, and now with the sudden upsetting death of Raymona, there is a lot of stress on my flocks. Other than adding Corid to everyone's water and drenching some of the slower acting birds, is there anything else I can do to help my flocks through this? I keep a fan running throughout the day to help with the heat, offer grapes, watermelon, frozen Peas and corn, and peaches. Is there anything else you can recommend? I usually only let my girls free range in the evening but with Raymona's short life, I'd much rather they be happy and enjoy life, especially if their lives might be cut so short. Plus, it seems like I read about chickens being penned up more likey to suffer from fatty Liver, so it made me wonder if free ranging is more healthy for them. What are your thoughts?

Side note, some of my girls were anxious and trying to get back into their coops. They can get to their nesting boxes but one of the runs has some cockerels that usually free range locked in. My hens HATE all of the boys here and will happily fight them. I thought it was just the bantam boys they hated, but it's all of the boys here. I don't think I can free range everyone (boys and girls together). I don't know if that would be safe for everyone as some of my bantam cockerels can't fly.

Free ranging has its risks and trade-offs. It's something only you can decide. Some breeds are very content in confinement while others are stressed by it.

As for the cockerels, they annoy everyone. It's why many folks eat them. The solution is to limit the number in your flock and to limit the amount of time the boys have with the girls. I have two roosters in a flock of 24. They are not with the hens continuously. Especially my old hens dislike them and get upset when accosted.

By the way, molt does affect egg quality. I've noticed over all these years that approach of molt, which is already in full swing in my flock, does affect egg laying, usually dropping off in quantity.

Did you call the lab? They may operate on the weekends, some state do, some not - so you may be able to go ahead and send the body via FedEx today. Ask the lab about a discount or shipping code as well - I *think* they have one for folks to use.

I'm so sorry that you have experienced this. I don't know of anything you can really do - give fresh feed, fresh water, limit treats.

Did you call the lab? They may operate on the weekends, some state do, some not - so you may be able to go ahead and send the body via FedEx today. Ask the lab about a discount or shipping code as well - I *think* they have one for folks to use.

I'm so sorry that you have experienced this. I don't know of anything you can really do - give fresh feed, fresh water, limit treats.
Yikes!!! I'm assuming they don't get many "pet" birds in at Rollins Lab, or at least not from the owners. I was under the impression that I would need to wait until Monday to ship her, but that's not the case in Raleigh. It's totally my fault. I should have called this morning but I have been so upset that I haven't been thinking straight. I called around 2:30/3pm. Raleigh is the closest and I wanted to send some stool samples in at the same time if possible and thought that I might have to drive there to deliver everything personally. The lab is open tomorrow but the doctor isn't going to come in (although he does at times and honestly I understand that they give higher priority to larger flocks with maybe different sets of symptoms. I'm not upset, mad, or anything, just caught me off guard. For future reference, it'd be a good idea to call the lab for necropsy, as quickly as possible and I failed at that. I added this part after typing out the next part. I apologize for any confusion.

Unless what Raymona had was contagious and another bird contracts it and dies, we'll never know what happened. I called Rollins Lab and they sent me over to the doctor. He is not working tomorrow and is the only one that does the necropsy for poultry. He said that "the sample" won't be viable on Monday, even though she's been in the refrigerator. He asked me about symptoms and I told him what went on with Raymona. He said "just watch the others over the weekend and if symptoms arise in any others, call me first thing Monday morning. You can bring the next bird to me, alive, and we will euthanize for free and test that one". I asked if I should keep her body in the fridge in case anything came up and he replied "no throw that one away and just forget about it". :-( I asked about sending stool samples in and he said that would be fine and to get samples from 5 to 6 birds and bring them in.

Nice work. Don't beat yourself up over being tardy getting rolling on this. It's understandable being disoriented after a cherished pet chicken dies. I've been there myself in the past few weeks, having had three chickens die. All mine are pets, too.

You've now tapped into a very valuable resource. Going forward you will know exactly what you need to do. Please continue to update your thread. It's going to be a valuable thread and has the potential to help many.

Nice work. Don't beat yourself up over being tardy getting rolling on this. It's understandable being disoriented after a cherished pet chicken dies. I've been there myself in the past few weeks, having had three chickens die. All mine are pets, too.

You've now tapped into a very valuable resource. Going forward you will know exactly what you need to do. Please continue to update your thread. It's going to be a valuable thread and has the potential to help many.
I'm so sorry for your losses. My heart breaks for you

Here are Raymona's flockmates. Mavis is the Splash Breasted Red OEGB (Raymona's beastie), FiFi is the Red Pyle OEGB, Judy Blume is the Pyncheon, and Willow is the Self Blue OEGB
20200731_202133.jpg

They've really enjoyed free ranging for the first time today. Raymona has been out before but she would come to me easily. I was worried about losing all of them if I free ranged, but they've done so well today. They all did their Corid drench easily too. Such sweet girls

Back
Top Bottom