Oral Tylan 50 dosage clarification

Doulaness

In the Brooder
Feb 28, 2018
My Red Range chicken sneezing, wheezing and not laying. No nasal discharge. She weighs 6lbs. I purchased Tylan 50. I read give .33ml per pound 3x day x5 days. This adds up to 2ml 3x day for 5 days. Other threads stated .2ml per pound 3x day x 5 days. This adds up to 1.2 ml 3x day. Which is best dosaging? Currently being treated with VetRx and Nutridrench in water. Isolated in cage near flock. Plan to give dosage orally to avoid tissue necrosis.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you!

My Red Range chicken sneezing, wheezing and not laying. No nasal discharge. She weighs 6lbs. I purchased Tylan 50. I read give .33ml per pound 3x day x5 days. This adds up to 2ml 3x day for 5 days. Other threads stated .2ml per pound 3x day x 5 days. This adds up to 1.2 ml 3x day. Which is best dosaging? Currently being treated with VetRx and Nutridrench in water. Isolated in cage near flock. Plan to give dosage orally to avoid tissue necrosis.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you!
Tylan50 dosage according to Plumb's Veterinary Drug Manual is 10-40mg/kg given twice or three times daily. Tylan50 dosage has a wide range. If your hen has a severe infection, then go with a higher dosage.

What do you think she has? Mycoplasma or other respiratory illness?

Wyorp Rock, thank you for your response. I believe based on her symptoms that she may have Mycoplasma. Another hen has developed the same symptoms and is now isolated and treated with her. I don’t know the difference between a mild vs severe case, but I will treat aggressively regardless to knock out the bacteria.

If you can give it orally 3 times a day, then use .20ml per pound of weight for 5 days in a row. That will give you the "mid-range" dosage.

If you can only give it orally 2 times a day, then give .30ml per pound of weight for 5 days in a row.

Only treat the birds that are symptomatic. Mycoplasma is bacterial and usually responds well to antibiotic treatment. If it's viral like Infectious Bronchitis, the antibiotic won't do much, but can help with secondary infection often associated with respiratory disease.
Here's a list of common poultry diseases: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

This helps a lot. Thank you!

And yes, only currently treating the two symptomatic girls.

Additionally, I am only giving orally because I am not comfortable with giving the injections at this time. I will continue with the 2x day as they are a little cranky right now being confined.

This helps a lot. Thank you!

And yes, only currently treating the two symptomatic girls.

Additionally, I am only giving orally because I am not comfortable with giving the injections at this time. I will continue with the 2x day as they are a little cranky right now being confined.
I would give it orally just like your doing. I have heard the Tylan50 is bitter, so maybe a nice treat afterwards? A couple of mealworms, a few berries, etc.:)

With injection you risk injection site necrosis - even if that did not happen, I would think after 5days being stuck 2X a day, even with alternating sides, they would at least be very sore.

Back
Top Bottom