orange beading on egg? help??

The external pip is just a little hole or even just a tiny crack just to let enough oxygen into the egg so the chick can breathe. It may take upto 24 hours for them to start zipping the egg. The best way I can describe it is that they munch and push through the shell in a line around the shell to create a cap that they then push off and then emerge from..

Here's one of my last hatch that has zipped the cap and got its head out of the shell.
Best of luck and keep us posted :fl

Sorry guys, it took me forever to figure out how to upload photos. My little guys are doing good! I ended up sitting up till one a.m. last night so I could see them hatch! Here they are!
20141211_101116_zps8a74368a.jpg

Omelet and Sassafras. They both fit in one hand!

20141211_012104_zpsb44efa14.jpg

I put them in the brooder and Omelet decided to sleep with his feet right up in the air.
20141211_012200_zpsae28c303.jpg

Meanwhile, Sassafras cuddled right up with her bunny.
20141211_202239_zps7de58b9d.jpg

They were actually hatched from store bought eggs at a natural food store. We think they might be EEs? Any opinions?

Last edited:
Holy cow! So I had four eggs left from this hatch that never did anything, but I left them in for the benefit of the doubt. I just candled them one last time and one of them is still kicking around! It's going into day twenty four, and he hasn't internally pipped yet from what I can tell. Does he still have a chance of hatching? I'm so surprised he's still going at this point.

So after reading I realized he was probably malpositioned.I went to go see if I could help and realized he was gone. :( he was at the complete opposite side of the shell. I'm so upset I didn't realize it last night so I might have saved him.
I've got more due to hatch in three days. Better to focus on that than the ones I lost. (even though when I opened it up I realized he was a barred rock-exactly the breed I've been wanting! Sigh.)

Aww, unfortunately it does happen. I see one in my incubator right now that I'm really worried about. It just doesn't look right, but I can't open it. I hope he makes it.
fl.gif

Last edited:
Sorry I keep bombarding you with questions, I'm like a first time mom crazily reading every parenting book she can find. Give me a kid and I'll put actual mothers to shame. Chicks on the other hand? I'm so lost.

One of my chicks that hatched has an eye she won't open. Is this a common ailment? She's thriving otherwise, her favorite thing is to impersonate a wood pecker against my hand, haha. I'm assuming she does that because she can't see very well on the one side.

Back
Top Bottom