Orange County FL Zoning Approved for BackYard Chickens!

I am in Seminole county Florida. I do not have chickens yet but have been researching and learning all about them first so I could order some soon. I just called planning and development department my zone is Seminole county residential zoning we are just outside of Sanford and was told I cannot have chickens. :-( Is there anyone currently working on a way to change this? Anything I can do to help? Thanks!

I live in Seminole County as well and am wondering this same thing. I live in an hoa development and I'm sure if I were to ask, the answer would be 'no' (I already know they are tight on anything out of the ordinary) However, I am wondering if I kept them out of notice if it would work? I will hope to follow this thread and see what happens. I looked at some laws one time, and they seemed kind of vague. It looked like chickens were allowed, but I don't know for sure. It might have only been for people with large property.

Hi. I'm new to this thread and I live in the SoDo area. I'd love to sign a petition or do whatever is necessary to help allow backyard chickens.

With election day fast approaching I was wondering the same thing. What does it take to get an ordinance re-introduced? Does it have to be changed somewhat to allow re-introduction or can we somehow just put it on the agenda again? I actually contacted the county commissioner I plan on voting for to make sure he (Bryan Nelson) supports backyard chickens, he does.

Here are some facts. Back on 6/8/13, the commissioners voted this way on the chicken ordinance:

Mayor Jacobs: Yes (she was absent so actually didn't vote, but was for the ordinance)
Vice Mayor Edwards: Yes
Commissioner Clark: Yes
Commissioner Boyd: No
Commissioner Brummer: No (my county commissioner)
Commissioner Thompson: No
Commissioner Russell: No

This makes 3 for it and 4 against it
Source: http://www.occompt.com/attachments/article/5810/2013-08-06 BCC Meeting Minutes.pdf#search=2013-08-06

Here are the Commissioners current election status:

These get elected every four years at presidential election time so are not up for election this year:
Boyd ------- voted No
Clarke ------ voted Yes
Edwards --- voted Yes

These are up for election this year:
Jacobs (she ran unopposed in the primary so she actually has already won) ----- another Yes vote
Brummer -- This is my commissioner, and the person I am voting for (Bryan Nelson) supports chickens. Brummer is not running.
Thompson -- She must have run un-opposed because she is listed as "elected" on the website. So this is a likely No vote.
Russell -- is not running for re-election

Summary: if everyone left after the election votes the same as they did in 2013, and one of the two former Brummer or Russell seats votes Yes, that would be 4 Yes and 3 No. If Bryan Nelson wins, I would consider this a 4 to 3 vote.

I would love to see something passed that would officially allow chickens, however in the past year or so there are at least 2 or 3 houses in hearing distance from my house that have chickens with roosters.No one seems to mind and they have had them for quite some time now. I have one more building inspection to have done on my house, then I am going to get chickens. I figure if my neighbors can get away with roosters I should be able to get away with just hens. I know my immediate neighbors and they would be fine with it.

Harry - Unincorporated Orlando.

Maybe we can get a coalition going but I have no clue how to approach it. I currently live in the County where its not allowed but its ridiculous. I came from New York City and it was no big deal.

Anyone have any information on this class?
http://orange.ifas.ufl.edu/ag/pdffiles/ChickenClass_2014 11-20.pdf

I saw it posted on the UF Extension offices site (http://orange.ifas.ufl.edu/) but didn't have the opportunity to go because I saw it after it had already passed.

Just wondering what the class might entail and if any any laws have been changed since the last posting in this thread that would allow homeowners to have a coop on their property for Orange County.

Hi All - has there been any developments on this? Also, I am in Gotha and my neighbor blocks away called code enforcement so I may need to find my 4 chickens new homes. Does anyone know of a farm that would take them? My 7 year old daughter and my wish is for them to be egg layers and to possibly have the opportunity to visit them once in awhile.
Thanks,
michele

Back
Top Bottom