Orange yolks

Demoman

In the Brooder
Oct 23, 2020
Hi all. In 2011 I had 40 chickens or so. Everyone use to comment on how dark orange the yolks were in my eggs that I used to sell. Back then I was feeding Nutrena I believe. Now I have started another flock and have 52 laying hens. I decided to go all organic this time and am feeding them what I consider the best Organic feed which is New Country Organics. For some reason this time the yolks are not as dark like they used to be. My question to you folks is what can I feed my girls to get the yolks a darker orange again. It just looks like a healthier egg to me. I would appreciate any ideas , thank you

Hello, yes they do but not as much as the last flock. The hawks and coyote's seem to be more prevalent these days so I only let them out when I get home from work. So they free range anywhere from 1 to 4 hours during the week an a little more on the weekends.

Hi all. In 2011 I had 40 chickens or so. Everyone use to comment on how dark orange the yolks were in my eggs that I used to sell. Back then I was feeding Nutrena I believe. Now I have started another flock and have 52 laying hens. I decided to go all organic this time and am feeding them what I consider the best Organic feed which is New Country Organics. For some reason this time the yolks are not as dark like they used to be. My question to you folks is what can I feed my girls to get the yolks a darker orange again. It just looks like a healthier egg to me. I would appreciate any ideas , thank you
The yolk color relies on the pigments in the food that they consume and that is why free-range birds tend to have darker yolks.

My chickens eat grass and dandelion leaves which gives them a lovely dark orange. Preferably I prefer giving them dandelion leaves because they are more enriching to them and have more nutritional value.

My yolks are orange but they aren't a real dark orange like they used to be. I think you might be right about the free ranging. This year with the drought the grass was all dried up and there didn't seem to be as many bugs or worms.

My yolks are orange but they aren't a real dark orange like they used to be. I think you might be right about the free ranging. This year with the drought the grass was all dried up and there didn't seem to be as many bugs or worms.
I have fed soaked alfalfa and timothy pellets in the past, especially in winter. You can give that a try also

Darker yolks are generally from foraging good green stuff. You can grow them sprouts and fodder if you can't free range
The yolk color relies on the pigments in the food that they consume and that is why free-range birds tend to have darker yolks.

My chickens eat grass and dandelion leaves which gives them a lovely dark orange. Preferably I prefer giving them dandelion leaves because they are more enriching to them and have more nutritional value.
[/QUOTEThat does make sence. And

Well that would make sense as to why my eggs aren't as dark because the grass and dandelions were basically non existent because of the drought this year. Thank you all for the responses .

Back
Top Bottom