Orbington rooster

Galitaya

In the Brooder
Oct 6, 2020
Hi,
I have different colors of Orbington hens and looking to add a rooster to my collection.
(Lavender, Buff, splash, black, jubelee)
What color rooster will be the best to keep with different color hens?

Not at all... just want one of each color... and 1x rooster. They are pets, not show...
I’m just not sure what color rooster would be nice...

Personally I wouldn’t do black because then almost all the chicks would be black and would have very little variety. I would maybe do Jubilee or splash? I don’t have experience with some of those colors though so it’s really just whatever color you like best.

What about a blue orpington rooster? I’m pretty sure those are a thing.
They are! They are beautiful too. We breed them and this guy is 20 weeks old. I just love the blue color lol

Attachments

• 88128853-0C1F-4BE4-8576-DD43AB0BD9BA.jpeg
    88128853-0C1F-4BE4-8576-DD43AB0BD9BA.jpeg
    898.8 KB · Views: 4
Depends on what you are wanting. Orpingtons are gorgeous. If you're wanting some pretty chicks I suppose you could use a Blue or Splash Orpington rooster. If you just want something pretty to look at, Silver-laced Orpingtons like the male in my profile picture, are gorgeous.

Some basics you should know- black (and therefore blue, splash, and lavender) is a pretty dominant color. Mottling (the white spots on jubilees) is a recessive gene, and won’t show up in the first generation, but will show up if you breed the first gens together or breed them to a jubilee. The same is true of lavender (lavender orps have the recessive lavender gene over solid black, which is why first gen crosses of lavender are usually mostly black).

If you want offspring with nice patterning, then breeding a buff rooster with black, blue, splash, and lavender hens is what you want to do. They would look something like the birds in this link: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/buff-orpington-x-black-australorp.11918/. With blue/splash/lavender replacing the black depending on the hen used and whether it’s a second generation cross or not.

If you like the look of solid colored orps, use a blue, black, or lavender rooster. You’ll get mostly solids or solid colored with some leakage (in the case of buffs, a lot of leakage).

If you really like the mottling of the jubilees, then you can use one of them as a rooster. However, their offspring will be solid colored in the first generation, until you breed them together or back to a jubilee to get the recessive mottling to show up.

Back
Top Bottom