Order arrived dead :(

It does feel horrible. I had to grab some gloves and sort through to try to find anything that was breathing. It was HARD. It really stinks that you feel responsible for those little lives, but the shipping is out of your hands. You can't control how they are handled and if they're kept at a decent temperature. Sometimes well-meaning postal workers make an oops because they don't know how to care for chicks, too. We had trouble finding anything in our local area for some reason, too. I didn't want to get something from the poultry auction for fear of disease, and we wanted sexed chicks.

Try to enjoy the little guys that you have. Watching them for awhile can sure fill you with love.
smile.png

This is so sad and making me so paranoid because I have 16 chicks on order that are due to arrive Aug 2-4. I would be devastated if any were DOA. Praying for a cold front to come thru at that time!!!
hugs.gif

I'm so sorry that your experience was so bad. Poor little chicks.

I've placed two orders with Meyer Hatchery - one for the week of September 20th - and one for September 27th. I had to spread it out over two weeks to get the breeds I wanted. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather will be majorly cooled off by then!

Quote:
Dobieslady1 - if it makes you feel any better. I got my order yesterday and we're in the middle of a big heatwave here on the east coast. All my chickies were fine - lively right out of the box. So it is possible to get chicks when it's hot

- but, I would think that extreme heat (or extreme cold) makes it more likely that something could go wrong. My next order is going to be late spring - just so I have one less thing to stress over.

Quote:
I'd put my money on them getting too cold. 5 chicks in an order just isn't enough to keep them heated to stay alive. I even got an order once where all *27* were dead, piled into one corner, which told me they got way too cold. Someone at the post office must have figured the 'too hot' thing also and put them in front of a fan or cooling vent in an office on the way to me.

Do you know the farm that you got them from him? Maybe there wasn't enough heat for them in a little box, did you make sure you knew enough information about the farm/hatchery? I hope that the little white chicken is doing fine

wow...this is so sad. I would never order any living thing to be shipped in the heat of summer like this. I guess the hatcheries figure if they hatch 'em they gotta sell 'em.

The post office cannot be held accountable for live shipments like this. It's up to us and the hatcheries to use some common sense.

Guess I can add this to my list of pet peeves. Poor chicks.

Back
Top Bottom