Order arrived dead :(

Quote:
lau.gif
he just called me right before I read your post. His post master called in someone to look at the ac. They just got the unit installed 2 years ago and it's already on the fritz. On a different note, have you ever shipped just 1 chick or just 1 older chick? I have 3, 5 week olds now and I have room for 1 more but there is no breeders where I live and only feed store that sells chicks said I have to buy 6. I would buy more but we are only allowed to have a total of 6 hens and no roosters and seeing as how I already have 3 that wouldn't work. I'm not even sure if I should add 1 more chick to the group I have. I don't know if it will upset the balance between them. They all get along great, I have not seen any fights, and when I look to see the pecking order, I don't see one. They all do the same thing at the same time. (eat, drink, play, run around the backyard following each other) Any thoughts on adding 1 more?

It's just so frustrating!! I sure do like the little white chick that survived. Please let her be a her.

Last edited:
I ordered some chicks last month. They came a day after they were supposed to. That extra day with the postal service really took its toll. 2 chicks were DOA and another 5 died in the next 24 hours. The hatchery was very nice and gave me the refund with no problem.

Splinty,
no I never ship just 1 chick, actually everything I have is bantam sized, so my min even when it's hot is 12-15 colder months 20.
started birds in cooler weather do fine though, have shipped many singles that way, but I'm talking half grown or better and fully feathered.

Adding a single pullet would be no problem to your group, people do it all the time, they may mix it up a day or so on some breeds, but usually get along fine. Even with my bantams, I can add new roosters to a pen, they'll fight for an hour or so, get over each other and are best friends after that. As long as you arent dealing with game based breeds that is.

Quote:
Thank you very much or the info. I saw Meyer sells started Pullets and was thinking about getting 1 of them but I would rather get one local if I could. Meyer trims their beak and I'm not sure if that's good or not. I'll just keep looking here. Thanks again.

Quote:
I too have chicks coming in at the same time. I know the heat might be an issue, but at the same time I read on here so many times that peoples chicks came to them DOA in the spring too. I think it all comes down to how they are handled in the mail. I got my earlier chicks from a feed store and guess what, their chicks came through the mail too just in bigger quantities.

I'm so sorry for your loss. I would not order any more until it cools down... in the mean time can you find a friend for her?

Back
Top Bottom