Ordered Chicks! Assortment Surprise!

Thanks Folly. 11yo was pretty disappointed, etc. She's better today and we've been discussing chicken breeds, names for chickens, etc - always a mood booster. Now we just need to figure out the best way and time to get some chicks in person to begin our little home flock.

I pray she finds peace with this and can look forward to the awesomeness your new chickens will bring. Still so sorry this has happend.

Oh, my! I ordered from them. They are supposed to be shipped the 30th I ordered the following...

Meyer Meal Maker 1
BUOF Buff Orpington Female
AMBS Leann's "Adopt Me" Bargain St. Run
AWEF White Egg Layer Assortment Female
APRF All Pullet Rainbow Pack Female

I have heard nothing but good news from them so I went ahead and ordered. Now, I am a bit worried.

I am so sorry this has happened to you! I have ordered online from TS and Ideal and never had but maybe one extra to die....I hope you will have better experiences from now on.

CCLG, Most likely it will be OK. My chicks were shipped with at least 2 heat packs, as 2 were fished out as the postal employee was trying to find my gro-gel and electrolyte packs at the bottom of the box. My guess is that something occurred that should not have (left outside, missed a transfer, or whatever could be hiccup in the system). I'm going to try to find out the routing if I can (what is typical) to see if it really should have taken 31 hours on one truck to make the trek to my PO or if that was not typical. I live in a city, and not rural, and had addressed it to our PO Box (with our phone number) to reduce any delays. Anyway, I'm confident that Meyer put live birds into the box....

Good Luck with your shipment! Hopefully you get a nice assortment!

I would not Order from Meyer again.. The first/last time I ordered from them was terrible, Thinking the actual hatchery was in Ohio I ordered 10 ducklings from them.. Turned out the Office was in Ohio and the hatchery was all the way in California :th I got 10 dehydrated week ducklings and ended up losing one the first day sadly. The only hatchery I order from is Mypetchicken.. Great place. The hatchery Is located in Ohio and I have not been disappointed with them yet..

I was led to believe my pet chicken gets chicks from Meyers. If you look I the website, they have the exact same photos for several breeds.
I would not Order from Meyer again.. The first/last time I ordered from them was terrible, Thinking the actual hatchery was in Ohio I ordered 10 ducklings from them.. Turned out the Office was in Ohio and the hatchery was all the way in California :th I got 10 dehydrated week ducklings and ended up losing one the first day sadly. The only hatchery I order from is Mypetchicken.. Great place. The hatchery Is located in Ohio and I have not been disappointed with them yet..

This is exactly what I’ve been worrying about too.
I live in SE Idaho and the only hatchery near me is Dunlap (an hour away).
I don’t have a problem with them but they only offer a few common breeds.
I want to order chicks in the mail but most of the hatcheries are way across the country from me.
My current small flock came from TS.
They’re good birds but I don’t know what breeds I could get from a feed store?
I assumed it would only be common breeds also.
I want Speckled Sussex, Australop, BSL, EE and maybe Barred Rocks (I heard they’re good layers).
I ESPECIALLY want the SS!

Hatching Eggs might be a good choice.
This is exactly what I’ve been worrying about too.
I live in SE Idaho and the only hatchery near me is Dunlap (an hour away).
I don’t have a problem with them but they only offer a few common breeds.
I want to order chicks in the mail but most of the hatcheries are way across the country from me.
My current small flock came from TS.
They’re good birds but I don’t know what breeds I could get from a feed store?
I assumed it would only be common breeds also.
I want Speckled Sussex, Australop, BSL, EE and maybe Barred Rocks (I heard they’re good layers).
I ESPECIALLY want the SS!

I've ordered chicks several times in May and never a casualty. I personally wouldn't risk colder weather shipments.
Might be more than a few weeks before you can get them outside also unless your going to use a heat source.
Not sure your nighttime temps but even if they are 'feathered' out they are still pretty small.
I got Meyer's Leann's Adopt Me Bargain once, mostly roosters but still pretty neat getting a variety, EE's welsummer polish cochin dark cornish leghorn RIR.

Back
Top Bottom