Ordering Bobwhites

DylanP

Chirping
Aug 13, 2020
Hi everyone, i recently decided i wanted to add some northern Bobwhites and mexican speckled Bobwhites to my collection i was wondering how many of each should i order ?( i never ordered chicks before or raised Bobwhites just had adult pairs so I'm unsure of gender ratio in chicks ) and can they be bred together ? The site I’m looking at also list tuxedo Bobwhites as a option but i cant find anything about it online 😅

I don't know about the other quail, but I do know the general rule of thumb is 4 females per 1 male. Although, I would recommend 5-6 females per male when it comes to bobwhites. hope this helps!

If you have less than 4 females to one Bobwhite male, they might fight. If you have only two per male, one female will kill the other. Ideally, they should be in separate mated pairs with their own runs. I've gotten away with three pairs in a 6x6 foot run before, but even then, there needs to be multiple line of sight breaks to stop them harassing each other. Bobwhites are the bare-knuckle cage fighters of the quail world. If there is any reason at all to fight, they will fight to the death.

That said, they are absolutely adorable birds when not murdering each other and are easily my favorites. Very hardy little things, too.

Ideally i was going to do one to one or trios but i meant like when ordering Bobwhite chicks what do the ratio usually be if that makes sense 😅

Well id ideally like to get 2-3 pairs of each , i was going to order 6 of each i didnt know if that was setting my expectations too high or not 😅can i breed the northerns and mexican speckled together? I mostly want to keep mexicans together but i was wondering for if i have spares that i cant pair up , i want to try breeding for snowflakes And other mutations

Well id ideally like to get 2-3 pairs of each , i was going to order 6 of each i didnt know if that was setting my expectations too high or not 😅can i breed the northerns and mexican speckled together? I mostly want to keep mexicans together but i was wondering for if i have spares that i cant pair up , i want to try breeding for snowflakes And other mutations

The mexicans are just a mutation of the northerns, so they can be bred together.

Okay nice 🙏🏻 I figured i could but wasn’t sure 😅 i only ever raised the northerns but i want to add more colors to my flock

Back
Top Bottom