ordering chickens, don't want chicks though....

secuono

Crowing
13 Years
May 29, 2010
Virginia
I want to buy some chickens, young pullets, but don't want to raise them. It takes forever and it's just not what I want.
The only time I find pullets for sale, its freaky expensive!!! Is there any other way??
No one locally has what I want, I just want pullets, depending on the breed, no more than $8 each.

How old do you want the pullets to be?

A sexed pullet chick - depending on breed - will cost about $2.50-$3.00. To raise a pullet to four months old (the age you can be reasonably sure it's a pullet and close to laying) will cost about $4-5 in feed. Plus all of the labor involved in cleaning and refilling waterers, changing bedding, refilling feeders, electricity and light bulbs for keeping them warm when they're young, etc. $8 is quite cheap for a POL pullet. I know it sounds expensive, but once you add up all of the costs involved it really isn't.

You can find them, although a 2 week old chick won't need much less care than a day-old chick. You should look on your local craigslist; a lot of those people have chicks to sell which don't sell right away so they're a little bit older. If you're not sure if they have older ages, you should contact them anyway and ask - often times they do.

To have low maintenance birds from the start, you probably want 6 week old pullets. That's when they are fully feathered out and can handle the weather without a heat lamp.

Another word of wisdom - many people on craigslist claim to know how to sex chicks and really, really don't! Ask them how they sex their chicks if you're paying a premium for pullets. The only correct answer IMHO is "sex-linked" (or that their chicks are Barred rocks, or some other breed that is easy to sex at hatch).

Good luck with your chickens!

Last edited:
I see you have other chickens, did you get them all as adults? The chicks are messy, no doubt, but they really are quite easy to raise...I have sold layer hens for five bucks a piece, but if you buy grown, you have to worry about quarantine, etc. Why not try posting a "wanted" on craigslist. Maybe someone has too many birds, and would sell a few for a reasonable price. Good luck!

Quote:
Really? I don't mind raising them when they're little. It's when they're 2-8 weeks old that I dislike them. They poop a bunch and spoil their bedding and stink, but are too young to go outside yet. Once they're two months old I move them outside to a pen with a mesh bottom. So much easier!

So far we found that raising the day old chicks is not too bad--in the lst two years we've (dd and myself) raised five batches of them, and not one mortality (as babies anyways), including a dozen meaties. Fresh food, water, a 4x4' brooder (used to be a whelping box) with a wire lid, thermometer and heat lamp--watch the temps and enjoy how fast they grow up. We've always raised them in May or later so weather wasn't a major concern. Don't know if it's financially sound way to do it...probably rather not know....but the fun of raising them sure is addictive:D
Good luck in your search

I've raised about 10 from eggs, 16 from 3-6weeks old and 7 were adults.
I still have some chicks in the house. I just want to be done with the heat lamp, brooder, constant mess they make with everything in the house. I'm never wintering chicks again, too much work and the bill shot up $120.
Guess I will have to give in and get chicks later in spring...

CL has nothing near me. All ask $30 or more, rather spend that $30 on car gas, people food, bills, instead of a single bird. They are also very far from me for the most part and don't want to meet part way.

I'm thinking of selling my fan/turner incubator so I won't be tempted. Its nicer to have the hens clucking around with their babies than me hiding them in a room from all our other pets.

Thanks anyway...
maybe someone near me will/can split a chick order with me...?

Back
Top Bottom