ordering chickens, don't want chicks though....

put an ad on craigslist... i'm sure someone around you has the hatching bug and too many chickens that they don't know what to do with... LOL... we are not alone...

i am blessed to have 8 feedstores local to me that always have random pullets, cockerels around... also, there are several ranches an hour away or so that put ads on craigslist too... the price totally depends on the breed really... i just picked up some 5 week old giant cochins for 3 bucks each... they had young egg laying pullets for 5-8 bucks each too... shop around, and make some ads... maybe make a want ad on your location thread...

good luck...

Quote:
Yeah, you never know. In December I saw an ad on Craigslist by someone who had gone overboard on hatching and her son told her she had to "do something" with the 100+ chicks that resulted, She had a brooder shed full of 3, 6 & 9-week old chicks. The 9-week-olds she was selling for $2 apiece and the 6-weekers were $1. I really wanted the 9-week-olds to be that much closer to laying age but they were already spoken for by the time I got there so I ended up with some of the 6-week-olds.

Quote:
Yeah, you never know. In December I saw an ad on Craigslist by someone who had gone overboard on hatching and her son told her she had to "do something" with the 100+ chicks that resulted, She had a brooder shed full of 3, 6 & 9-week old chicks. The 9-week-olds she was selling for $2 apiece and the 6-weekers were $1. I really wanted the 9-week-olds to be that much closer to laying age but they were already spoken for by the time I got there so I ended up with some of the 6-week-olds.

that sounds like me in the future... i built an incubator for 60 eggs, and i want to build another for 300+ eggs... i don't even have enough chickens to lay that many eggs... LOL...

JustAChickenLittle&More :

Where is Sperryville Va? I am in Kentucky, Eastern Kentucky.

Very far from you. I am not south at all, up north near Luray.​

It sounds to me like you want someone else to put forth all the expense and effort, and then, sell them to you, at biddy price. You might get some old, worn out layers, for $3 apiece. Why should anyone invest $15 in feed to raise a chick to laying age, plus time and labor, and the potential of 3 years of productive laying, only to sell them to you, at a lose?

Quote:
This is what I was thinking too. But I can also understand the frustration of all that dust and poo and waiting for the first egg....as well as never wanting to part with my really hard earned cash.

Quote:
This is what I was thinking too. But I can also understand the frustration of all that dust and poo and waiting for the first egg....as well as never wanting to part with my really hard earned cash.

That's what cash is for...Stimalatin' the economy.

Back
Top Bottom