Ordering chickens for May delivery or pick up

Stellabobella

In the Brooder
Jan 26, 2023
Hello,
First time chicken owners (hens for eggs to start) and thinking a head. We have a trip planned mid May so we were thinking to wait to get our chickens for when we get back (Mid May). This also gives us time to build a really decent coop and run.

Right now we are liking the black Australorp.

Questions: Being so far out, is there a time we should order way ahead of our wanted delivery?
We possibly could go pick them up (road trip lol) if getting them in the mail is a risk?
Also, do many just order them as babies or as pullets.

Thank you
Stella

It depends on what hatchery you're looking to purchase from. You should look for one that will ship them out after the trip or hold your order so you can bring them home and put them in the set up immediately. It's really your choice if you want them shipped to your local post office or to go and pick them up. There's risks and benefits to both. If where you live is really hot or cold around May, Picking them up to drive them home in a cooled or heated environment is better than being in a possibly really hot/cold plane. Having them shipped might be more helpful to save time, money, and might not risk the chicks becoming more stressed. Picking them up right from the hatchery might be a better option if it's not a problem with you. Everyone has different reasons and preferences on the age of chickens they want to purchase but many people start off with chicks. I think starting off with chicks is a better idea so you can bond to them and gradually get them ready to introduce them to your flock. If you want eggs sooner, pullets might be a better option. If you don't mid having chicks, then that's fine, too. Just remember, chicks are difficult to care for and so are pullets. They both shouldn't go with the older chickens until they're fully feathered and you have slowly introduced them into the already existing flock. The other chickens tend to bully and can even seriously harm younger chickens. Hope that helps!

Hatcheries are not your only option to buy chicks. Feed stores get wholesale pricing and can offer chicks for often less than you can direct from the hatchery once you factor in shipping. Small orders can accrue up charges of $5-10 per chick depending on number. You can also find chicks and POL pullets on CL and FB groups often for less than you can raise them once you add in supplies. May is the height of chick season so many desirable breeds are already sold out. Not all hatcheries have the breeds you are interested in so shop around. Find out who your feed store gets their chicks from. Then find out what they have on order. Some are happy to add special orders. There is safety in numbers. A large 100 count chick order will have lower mortality rates than a 6 chick one will.
For biosecurity reasons most hatcheries do not allow pick up. They might have a store front off site or work with a local feed store as a pick up point but your chicks are boxed and you have a pickup time frame. Buying started pullets from a hatchery only works with the pick up option. Shipping on adult birds starts around $80 each plus the cost of the bird ($100+ total per pullet).
BAs are very nice good laying chickens to start with but there are many others. I suggest a mix so you can experience multiple breeds and see who rises to the top.

It depends on what hatchery you're looking to purchase from. You should look for one that will ship them out after the trip or hold your order so you can bring them home and put them in the set up immediately. It's really your choice if you want them shipped to your local post office or to go and pick them up. There's risks and benefits to both. If where you live is really hot or cold around May, Picking them up to drive them home in a cooled or heated environment is better than being in a possibly really hot/cold plane. Having them shipped might be more helpful to save time, money, and might not risk the chicks becoming more stressed. Picking them up right from the hatchery might be a better option if it's not a problem with you. Everyone has different reasons and preferences on the age of chickens they want to purchase but many people start off with chicks. I think starting off with chicks is a better idea so you can bond to them and gradually get them ready to introduce them to your flock. If you want eggs sooner, pullets might be a better option. If you don't mid having chicks, then that's fine, too. Just remember, chicks are difficult to care for and so are pullets. They both shouldn't go with the older chickens until they're fully feathered and you have slowly introduced them into the already existing flock. The other chickens tend to bully and can even seriously harm younger chickens. Hope that helps!
Thank you for taking the time and replying. This is very helpful!

What type of chicken are you looking for (temperament, weather needs, how many eggs, broody, etc)?

Where are you located? (Might be a hatchery within driving distance).

How many chickens are you hoping to have?

We always get our chicks in late June in NY since school is out & the kids are home. Usually we get at least a few eggs around Thanksgiving. If you get May chicks, I would guess some would start laying around October.

I like keeping a mixed breed flock for egg purposes. They molt at different times & lay rates are different during the seasons.

Australorps are a very nice breed to start with, but if you would like a couple different breeds I’m sure everyone could give you some great recommendations!

Hatcheries are not your only option to buy chicks. Feed stores get wholesale pricing and can offer chicks for often less than you can direct from the hatchery once you factor in shipping. Small orders can accrue up charges of $5-10 per chick depending on number. You can also find chicks and POL pullets on CL and FB groups often for less than you can raise them once you add in supplies. May is the height of chick season so many desirable breeds are already sold out. Not all hatcheries have the breeds you are interested in so shop around. Find out who your feed store gets their chicks from. Then find out what they have on order. Some are happy to add special orders. There is safety in numbers. A large 100 count chick order will have lower mortality rates than a 6 chick one will.
For biosecurity reasons most hatcheries do not allow pick up. They might have a store front off site or work with a local feed store as a pick up point but your chicks are boxed and you have a pickup time frame. Buying started pullets from a hatchery only works with the pick up option. Shipping on adult birds starts around $80 each plus the cost of the bird ($100+ total per pullet).
BAs are very nice good laying chickens to start with but there are many others. I suggest a mix so you can experience multiple breeds and see who rises to the top.
Thank you. Appreciate this. We did find a hatchery in TN we may have success with as I spoke to the owner. In the interim, I will have other options for us just in case. A variety makes sense now. I hope to do that now.

What type of chicken are you looking for (temperament, weather needs, how many eggs, broody, etc)?

Where are you located? (Might be a hatchery within driving distance).

How many chickens are you hoping to have?

We always get our chicks in late June in NY since school is out & the kids are home. Usually we get at least a few eggs around Thanksgiving. If you get May chicks, I would guess some would start laying around October.

I like keeping a mixed breed flock for egg purposes. They molt at different times & lay rates are different during the seasons.

Australorps are a very nice breed to start with, but if you would like a couple different breeds I’m sure everyone could give you some great recommendations!
We are in the Appalachion foothills in North east Tennessee. We eat a lot of eggs as most of our diet is carnivore. In the end, we would love to have 8-10 total so we can share with our neighbors. I did find a farm/hatchery about 3 hours away. The owner said as time approaches, give her a call and she will hold a variety for us.

Thank you for talking to me. I thought maybe i was the only early summer to summer buyers.lol

Back
Top Bottom