Ordering chicks from Tractor Supply?

I always look at the chicks in the store at Tractor Supply, but I never bought them. Now I see that they have enclosed & professional looking brooders so I might consider it if I only wanted a few chicks. I always ordered from the hatchery, Mc Murray and Ideal. This last year I bought directly from a breeder on here who has Barred Hollands. Very nice experience, I would look for a breeder if I were looking for a special breed.

I always look at the chicks in the store at Tractor Supply, but I never bought them. Now I see that they have enclosed & professional looking brooders so I might consider it if I only wanted a few chicks. I always ordered from the hatchery, Mc Murray and Ideal. This last year I bought directly from a breeder on here who has Barred Hollands. Very nice experience, I would look for a breeder if I were looking for a special breed.
I've been to Ace Hardware and they sell chicks and ducklings from Hoover's Hatchery as well.

I've been to Ace Hardware and they sell chicks and ducklings from Hoover's Hatchery as well.
I have looked at the Hoover web site. They will ship with only 10 chicks, and others have higher minimums. I have noticed that McMruuay will now ship only 6, but with an extra charge. I order a box of 25, the chicks ship better, and then sell the extras. I have never had a problem selling them.

I won't pretend to tell you what the better, or best, hatchery is out there. I get my chicks from our local Co-Op and they only order from Hoover's. I got 10 chicks from them (Hoover's via the Co-Op) and all 10 were healthy and survived.

One of the advantages of buying from the local stores is that they have a free replacement policy/refund for any chicks that die within the first 3 days. Also, when they get the chicks at the store, they immediately remove any chicks they don't deem good to sell. The last thing a store wants to do is sell you chicks that are going to die. They want those chicks to be healthy and grow big and strong - so they can sell you all that chicken feed and supplies for the next few years.

As far as double shipping, I'm not convinced that is a consideration. At least where I live. If I ordered the chicks directly from the hatchery, I would still have to go into town to the post office to get the live birds. Better that I can pick out the healthiest chicks from a pen full of chicks at the store and take them home.

I see what you mean now. Am going there tomorrow and will ask about it.
I do know that in the past my local store ordered chicks from Townline, but that could have changed.
It seems a lot of farm stores that order chicks have switched from townline to Hoover’s, at least in my area. The farm store I work at used to order from townline. I think from what I’ve heard, Hoover’s was supposed to be more cost effective and have the same quality birds and be able to keep up with demand, but sadly those last two didn’t seem to be true last year,

Back
Top Bottom