Ordering Chicks - Mixing Breeds?

That sounds like a pretty flock, and all about the same size. I had a little trouble mixing Blue Orpingtons in because they're so much bigger, especially the roos, but really, chickens don't seem to know how big they are. It is funny though how the breeds will stick together, the hens anyway...my buff orps always foraged and roosted together, the black ameraucanas did too...how do they know what they are? They all came together as day-old chicks.

I have a very mixed flock.

We have alot of gentle breeds. We do have a new hampshire that is too aggressive and going to my brother's farm along with a black sex link. They will fit in fine with his flock.

I like looking in my run and seeing all the different colors and then looking in my egg basket and seeing different colors
big_smile.png

I do warn you that it is addicting (chicken collecting). We started with 2 wanting only 4. We currently have 20, with two more coming today. We do have plans for 8 to go to new homes. (Helping a friend start a flock)

Research chicken math, then start planning your bigger coop
big_smile.png

I have a small flock of assorted breeds, all LF and no giants or crested breeds. It's working out great! I think it works better if you start them as chicks together.

HOWEVER, I will caution you that chickens are all individuals. It's always possible to get one of any breed that does not display a typical behavior for the breed. My mom has a barred Rock hen that is a complete witch to the other chickens (but likes people) and two Brahmas that are insanely skittish and do all they can to avoid human contact. Those are not typical behavioral traits for their breed but she got her birds from a hatchery that was likely not breeding for temperment.

Back
Top Bottom