Ordering chicks! Opinions on Murray Mcmurray...

Now I'm worried! I ordered 3 chicks that are supposed to be delivered the last week of april - Egyptian Fayoumis. I must say the birds were about $10 but shipping was $50. Now, I'm wondering if I should cancel the order.
I'm sure you'll be ok, but I just decided to play it safe. I know Egyptian Fayoumi's are a rarer breed, and not a lot of places have them, so you didn't really have a choice!

I love Murray McMurray! So first batch I ordered were mostly DOA, postal issue, not hatchery. They re-filled my entire order and apologized. Second batch were all healthy and alive thankfully. I had two accidental losses of the 40 I ordered, one ate sawdust, and another drown the first few days. None health related. I lost none of these to health issues as a matter of fact to this date, they are 10 months old now. They are also all super friendly and sweet. Most of them are so friendly you can pick them right up, the friendliest chickens I have ever had! I ordered a straight run, hens are egg layers for us, roo's are dinner. They were a true 50- 50 blend, not a bunch of roosters. I will only ever order from them. I also read, not sure if it's true, that Murray McMurray sells the roo's for meat chicks, they do not in-humanely grind them up alive like I have heard of other hatcheries. Heritage breeds make the best meat chickens we think. I did have one EE hen that has a hip problem of some sort. She gets around just fine, but walks funny, more like a duck. Of coarse the poor girl is the bottom of the pecking order. I have a small flock that is free ranged though, so she does not get picked on so much, and is beautiful.

Back
Top Bottom