Ordering chicks through mail

Taylorenee

Chirping
Apr 1, 2020
Didn't know where to post this so I apologise in advance if this not where it's supposed to be. soooo long story short i have a 180$ cart on cackle hatcherys website 🤣🤣 I just want to know if this is too crazy ? For 8 birds it's 180 $ and that's with a small order fee . If I add 7 more birds its 183 without the small order fee. is that too much to spend on birds 🤣🤣🤣 definitely gonna have to hide it from the husband FOR SURE 😂😅😅 They are bielefelder and blue ameraucanas so that's why so expensive and then I was just Gunna add those 7 SR so I didn't have to pay a small order fee . Would you pay that?

That's including shipping right?

I mean, you have to think that you are shipping a live animal. Nothing about shipping something live is ever cheap ha! Ridiculous but a fact. I normally end up buying strictly from breeders which depending run $10-$15 per chick, for a good quality chick and thats local so no shipping. I'd say that isn't entirely terrible but if you're just looking for some fun chickens to have for eggs, you'd definitely be better off going to you local farm store if you have one. Heck, even if you have to drive an hour to the closest store depending on what you're driving that tank of gas is probably cheaper than shipping. Plus alot let stressful haha

They do cost more if you order them. I bought 7 from tractor supply and spent $27. And I didnt lose any. Because the ones that dies from the shipping had already died when tractor supply got them. But if you want a certain breed then you will have to order. That price sounds about right for order through the mail, as long as that includes shipping.

Yeah including shipping, I am looking for these specific breeds to add to my flock lol. I already have 15 all different breeds their about a year old now but I am just stock on these birds for some reason 🤣🤣🤣

Sounds reasonable for what you describe. Most of my current 34 mixed large breed and bantam hens came from Cackle Hatchery and are very productive and healthy.

I spent almost that at Meyer Hatchery - I wanted a few "special" breeds like Lavender Orpington, Barnevelder, Cream Leghorn. Meyer is in OH and I shipped them to MN got here in 1 day with zero problems. In my opinion, for getting exactly what I wanted, it was worth it. (Now, that said, I do want only females and hoping that's what I got ...)

Bielefelders are AWESOME! They are on my want list for sure, as I am a big fan of dual purpose birds.
I think that the prices on chicks have gone way up with Covid19. Then if you're buying sexed chicks the price goes way up.
I think I'd wait. Let things level out. Look for a local breeder, or until next year!

I recently placed 2 orders with Cackle. One order includes 10 Bielefelder. Given the price, I decided to purchase straight run. I'm still waiting on them to ship, so I can't say whether that was a wise decision or not. :) I'm new to chickens but want to suggest you call Cackle to verify availability before you place your order. When I called (last week, I think) they were crazy busy. Everything I wanted was shipping in late May or June even though the chart online showed earlier ship dates. Even as I spoke to the CSR, inventory was changing as she refreshed her screen and I had to select something different a couple of times.

Back
Top Bottom