Ordering from hatcheries

Morglez

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 4, 2016
Central Florida
Hello! I have never ordered from a hatchery before. I am looking to start a flock of chickens again, and because I am wanting to get around 20, I thought I would order from a hatchery. But my question is, when you have the chicks shipped, how can you plan for a day that they need to be picked up? The hatcheries I have looked into ship on specific days, but can't guarantee that the chicks would arrive on a specific day for pickup at the post office. For people with jobs that can't just stay home for a 2-3 day window and wait on a call from the post office, is ordering from a hatchery off the table? There are only a few small hatcheries in my area that I could pick up from directly, but none of them have the breeds I want. In the past I have gotten my chicks from Tractor Supply, but I can't guarantee they will have the breeds I want either... I am hoping some of you with experience in ordering from hatcheries can let me know if there is a way to do this or if I am out of luck. Thank you in advance!

Check out Meyer Hatchery. I order from them each spring.

I did, and that is who I want to order from, but according to their website, chicks would be delivered in 2-3 days. Which means there is no way of knowing exactly what day they would arrive at the post office. I work Monday through Friday, so the only day I have to work with is Saturday, but I don't know if the chicks would arrive on Saturday for me to pick them up.

Last edited:
I have ordered from Meyer hatchery twice. The first time my chicks arrived 3 days after their hatch date. The post office called me and I picked them up immediately. The second time the chicks arrived the day after their hatch date and were left on my back porch. I really don't think there is a guaranteed way to know when the chicks will arrive unless you pick them up personally. Just my experience.

I did, and that is who I want to order from, but according to their website, chicks would be delivered in 2-3 days. Which means there is know way of knowing exactly what day they would arrive at the post office. I work Monday through Friday, so the only day I have to work with is Saturday, but I don't know if the chicks would arrive on Saturday for me to pick them up.
I get mine within 1-2 days. They always estimate 2-3 days, but they may arrive sooner.

Hello! I have never ordered from a hatchery before. I am looking to start a flock of chickens again, and because I am wanting to get around 20, I thought I would order from a hatchery. But my question is, when you have the chicks shipped, how can you plan for a day that they need to be picked up? The hatcheries I have looked into ship on specific days, but can't guarantee that the chicks would arrive on a specific day for pickup at the post office. For people with jobs that can't just stay home for a 2-3 day window and wait on a call from the post office, is ordering from a hatchery off the table? There are only a few small hatcheries in my area that I could pick up from directly, but none of them have the breeds I want. In the past I have gotten my chicks from Tractor Supply, but I can't guarantee they will have the breeds I want either... I am hoping some of you with experience in ordering from hatcheries can let me know if there is a way to do this or if I am out of luck. Thank you in advance!
I ordered from Metzer farms and it was summer when I don't work. They have free shipping for an order that large. Too bad you don't have a friend that could pick them up for you and have a brooder ready for them. It would be hard for them to work around your schedule as most of them ship on certain days and that is it. Good Luck with this.

The best hatcheries, from general consensus are Cackle Hatchery and Murray McMurray, for quality, health and customers service.
Depending how far the hatchery is from you, it will be 2-3 days until they arrive and most hatcheries mail chicks Monday or through to Wednesday. Your po will usually call you but you might want to let them know you're expecting chicks in case they don't. Whenever the big mail truck get to your post office is when you're chicks will get there, usually early morning (6-7) so you don't have to wait around all day. Your po might be willing to hold them until you can get there, most don't mind, since you don't have anyone to pick them up.

The best hatcheries, from general consensus are Cackle Hatchery and Murray McMurray, for quality, health and customers service.
Depending how far the hatchery is from you, it will be 2-3 days until they arrive and most hatcheries mail chicks Monday or through to Wednesday. Your po will usually call you but you might want to let them know you're expecting chicks in case they don't. Whenever the big mail truck get to your post office is when you're chicks will get there, usually early morning (6-7) so you don't have to wait around all day. Your po might be willing to hold them until you can get there, most don't mind, since you don't have anyone to pick them up.
Yeah, I suppose I should call the post office to see how late/early in the day they allow for pickups. I just started my job, so I don't know what my actual hours are going to be once I am out of training, I just know it is Monday - Friday. But if they tend to arrive early enough in the day, I could probably go pick them up before work. Once I have a better idea of what my hours will look like, I will call the post office and get more info from them and then go from there. Thank you!

If you order through TSC, Atwood's, Orsheln, or other farm/ranch store, the store will receive your chicks, let you know they've arrived and care for them until you pick them up. Most of those places are open until 9 pm so you can even swing by after work.

You can order anything the hatchery sells through the store, too; youre not limited to the breeds the stire stocks.

x2. some mean post offices make you wait until they open at 8, but hopefully you can pick them up by 6-7 am. This should happen (e.g.,) on wednesday morning if the chicks hatched monday. and order direct from the hatchery, don't order thru TSC, too many variables involved.

Back
Top Bottom