ordering from Murray McMurray. What are your experiences?

What I am really excited about is the mixes that will occur next year from the chicks I am going to get this year. For whatever reason I want the most motley mixed flock of mutt chickens ever. Which is why I am getting the 5 cochins. I would like to have an incubator, but using momma chickens is so much easier and cost effective...So my hopes is that the cochins will grow into hens that go broody pretty regularly...if not then I will get an incubator next year.

How funny, MY flock is quite a motley crew of pure breeds mingled with their mixed breed offspring. I love it! Every now and again, I get this or that pullet from a hatchery and add 'em to the mix. They mix it up some more for me. Some of the offspring are really pretty and distinctive looking!

How funny, MY flock is quite a motley crew of pure breeds mingled with their mixed breed offspring. I love it! Every now and again, I get this or that pullet from a hatchery and add 'em to the mix. They mix it up some more for me. Some of the offspring are really pretty and distinctive looking!
And that is what I want...I have 4 purebreed and 8 mutts right now...but am looking forward to starting with purebreeds to get all manner of mutts...We have 2 crowing roosters right now, and 2 younger ones...I think that only one of those cockerels will make it though...one is sick...It is funny but we got a Mama hen and 7 babies, and one of those babies is a pretty large rooster so far...it is just strange because she is such a small little banty mix..maybe...there is only one chicken we have that I am totally sure is purebreed, our white silkie rooster...We bought a rooster and 3 hens, and the guy said that the rooster and 2 hens were leghorns and one golden comet hen...but the Rooster is too big and heavy to be a leghorn, and the one hen that lays, lays light brown pinkish eggs...so...not leghorns...although the hen that is laying is small enough to be a leghorn...the other white hen was huge, and never laid any eggs, and appeared to be pretty old...so we ate her a few days ago...Lol. She might not have laid eggs, or been pretty but she was delicious. And the brown hen that we were told was a golden comet isn't a golden comet...she isn't the right color, and she has no speckles of any other color...she looks more like a buff orpington more than anything. So...I think they are probably all mixes...or the guy just didn't know what he was talking about...anyway, I know the silkie is a purebreed, because he's a silkie..they are somewhat distinctive...I just want to see where is all goes. I want all colors and sizes and shapes of chickens to watch and play with...

add a Golden-Penciled Hamburg to my list!
ya.gif

It is hard to pick which chickens to get...that is why I went with the assortment..because I just can't pick, and I don't want only one type of chicken, but I also notice that you pay more when you get a few of these, and a few of those...so I figured I could get a few of a few all at once at a reduced cost. I would also like to get a few of the other assortments, but again---only so much room.

I ordered 25 cornish cross from Murray last fall with no problems at all. Received 26 cross and 1 mystery bird. They are a little higher than other hatcheries though.-Melissa

Back
Top Bottom