Ordering my nests, and brooder tonight...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by vortec, Feb 1, 2009.

1. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    I am in the process of searching for nests( for ten layers ) and a brooder tonight. I am looking at mcmurray's site. Is there any experience with the pre assembled wood nests and the plug in brooders? Is there any others that anybody reccomends for a better price or good quality. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated and thanks in advance

vortec

2. Master S.M.C

Master S.M.C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2009
    Maryland
    MPC has nest boxes with all the supplies, you just have to assemble it. Don't know about the brooder, I made mine out of wood and Plexiglas.

3. ghulst

ghulst Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2008
    Zeeland Michigan
    For 10 hens you will need 2 nest boxs. If I were you i would build them my self. Make them 12"X12" X12" and you will be all set. I have seen cardboard boxes also used.

4. vortec

vortec Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2009
    Martin County, NC
    Quote:You don't need a nest box per hen?

vortec

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    I LOVE my Fall Harvest wood nest boxes!!! But, don't waste money ordering them from McMurray, they're less expensive at eggcartons.com.

edited to add: Get either the 4 or 6 hole, I've got 11 hens sharing my 4 hole nest. The 4 hole was the better value when I did the math a week ago to order new ones.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  6. plreef

plreef Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Eastern CT
    I seen nest boxes made out of 5 gallon buckets. I was thinking about making some for myself.

7. skand

skand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2008
    Odessa, Tx
    Quote:You don't need a nest box per hen?

vortec

If you do that, they will all use the same one. Waste of money.
    We used 5 gallon buckets, they used them, now, they pefer a dog crate with the door taken off.

8. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

5 gallon buckets, milk crates, covered kitty litter boxes, anything a chicken can sit in or on is good enough for a nest. I would put out 3 just to be sure. Mine all prefer on that is a triangle. I used to be a small roost that they were laying under. I just put a board over it to make it a bit darker for them.

9. Laskaland

Laskaland ThE gRoOvY cHiCkEn

Aug 2, 2008
    Nebraska
    I nesting box for every 4/5 hens is what I have witnessed.
    They pick a favorite and share it...
    All good ideas above, btw... don't waste money on the nesting boxes!!

A brooder can be made out of a rubbermaid tub [​IMG] Do a search here on BYC...I'll surf and see if I can find the one I used...

Here ya go! https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6233

I
    use the the largest CLEAR rubbermaid type tote I could find. I like the clear b/c then the birds can see what's happening outside of the box and seem less likely to jump out (my experience). I keep the top of the tote, cut out a rectangle with an exacto knife and place screening/ wire on top and then set the heat lamp on top of the wire. Lamp should be like 18" from the babies. I place wood chips on the bottom and cover with paper towels (babies will eat the shavings). Waterer and just scatter food for a couple days until they "get" it. This brooder may cost you $20...

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  10. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

If you have a spare bathroom, heated basement or garage, I would put my brooder out there. These guys can get really smelly and kick up a bunch of dust. Dust=dried poop!!

I had to re-do my master bathroom because it smelled like chickie poo!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by