Ordering silkies and polish for February shipment. Is this safe????

Thanks for all the responses. The shipping of chicks scares me but I did receive my chicks that way before and I didn't lose a one. I'm gonna have to think about this...

I order from the same hatchery. I ordered 25 cornish rocks in Feb and I live in Utah. They were all fine and lived to butcher age. Make sure they are due to be there on Monday or Tuesday and let the post office know about the arrival and to call you AS SOON AS they arrive.

Having a "few" chicks die is certainly NOT what I call a successful shipment. Hope that wasn't the impression I gave. Nevertheless, what makes a winter shipment preferable is getting those babies past the stage where their immune systems are weaker before the spring and summer heat comes along and brings with it cocci, botulism, etc. There are trade offs for sure, but the cold temps are not what I'd be most afraid of -- weak or unhealthy chicks, too long in transit to your PO, bantam chicks mixed in with larger, standard chicks. Those are bigger threats than the cold, IMHO.

Back
Top Bottom