Ordering straight run, whats your %????

MakNat

Songster
11 Years
Aug 19, 2008
Ky
Was just wondering for those of you that have ordered straight run chicks... Has it pretty much been a 50/50??? Or have you wound up with more boys. Wondering if hatcherys might throw in a few extra males to get rid of them. Thinking of ordering the straight run heavys. Out of 15 I'd at least get 5 or 6 good hens do you think? And what ever roosters I get will be purebreed something. I've always had better luck raising them up to handsome adults and selling to someone looking for the specific breed.

It's usually been around 50/50... but yeah, if you order heavies and you don't have a problem getting rid of the boys, it sounds like a plan.

I've ordered straight run twice, or rather certain breeds straight run with others in the same order as sexed. Both times were from Cackle. One time I got 4 roosters and 2 hens.

The other time I ordered 6 straight run and got 7 pullets. Even the packing peanut was a pullet, but instead of it being in there to keep them warm, it was an extra in case I had a fatality during shipping. Some hatcheries willl do that if they hatch out more than they need.

What you get with straight run is odds. Since I got all pullets, someone some where got all roosters and is now convinced that the hatcheries are crooked. This is not to say that all hatcheries are ethical in this regard. Different hatcheries are run by different people. Some people are more ethical than others.

When I hatch, I sometimes get 2/3 boys. Sometimes I get 2/3 girls. Sometimes I get pretty close to 50-50. Odds are odds, not a guarantee.

My opinion would be that if a hatchery sells straight run, but also sells sexed chicks, your odds would be higher in getting more cockerels in their straight run order as they will naturally get more orders for pullets. It's just straight run of what's left and not necessarily crooked. On the other hand, if you order straight run from a hatchery or breeder that only sells straight run, you will have more of a 50/50 shot.

Some hatcheries clearly state they pull the straight run before they sex any. I'm not saying all hatcheries are ethical, but I'm not automaticallty assuming they are all unethical either. Everyone will have to make their own assumptions, but my limited experience is that I've gotten 70% pullets with straight run from a hatchery. Draw your own conclusions.

Back
Top Bottom