Ordering this late in the yr from Ideal..

I was thinking of ordering a dozen mixed-breed pullets from them. Do you think I'd get too many "packing peanuts" with that size order? I've already got one confirmed roo, don't want too many others.
roll.png

Quote:
Tell them you don't want packing peanuts and pay the shipping insurance charge...it's not that much. It's very warm right now in most of the country, so they should be fine. If the people at Ideal don't think it's a good idea to forego packing peanuts, they'll probably tell you so. After all, they don't want you to end up with dead chicks either.

Quote:
That is what I ordered on th 26th!

8 dark brahma pullets
1 " roo

4 Jersey Giant pullets (black)
1" roo

and 2 blue cochins male and female

due to arrive the 17th! Can't wait!!

Hate to throw a monkey wrench in the works, but...
If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have ordered any roos and here's why: I ordered 25 chicks, 23 for me and two for another BYC member. I ordered 21 hens and 2 roos. Two were DOA; thankfully they were two of mine and not the other BYC'ers. So out of the 21 chicks I ended up with five roos, not two like I ordered. My logic may be faulty, but I figure even if I hadn't ordered roos, I would have gotten some anyhow.
Just another of my two cents.

Quote:
That is what I ordered on th 26th!

8 dark brahma pullets
1 " roo

4 Jersey Giant pullets (black)
1" roo

and 2 blue cochins male and female

due to arrive the 17th! Can't wait!!

Hate to throw a monkey wrench in the works, but...
If I had to do it all over again I wouldn't have ordered any roos and here's why: I ordered 25 chicks, 23 for me and two for another BYC member. I ordered 21 hens and 2 roos. Two were DOA; thankfully they were two of mine and not the other BYC'ers. So out of the 21 chicks I ended up with five roos, not two like I ordered. My logic may be faulty, but I figure even if I hadn't ordered roos, I would have gotten some anyhow.
Just another of my two cents.

I see your point.....I will work differently next time around! Thanks for the info.

That's why I am placing the mixed-breed order. We are brand new to chickens and I want some of all kinds. It will be like Christmas in September, what fun!
big_smile.png

Quote:
I understand fully what you are saying, but I don't mind if they mess up and send too many roos. The sexing is only 90% gauranteed, so I expect they may make a mistake or two.

Plus I have an ace in the hole, so to speak, any chickens (or Roos) that I don't want to keep, my mom is willing to take. She likes having a very mixed bred chicken flock. Plus I know they get a good home and she's only 15 minutes away, so I will get to see them!

My order is for 5 Lt Brahmas, 3 pullets, 2 cockerels, since I already have 4 pullets.
Also with that order I am getting trios of Buff Brahmas and Dk Brahmas, 2 pullets and 1 cockerel each.
Due to arrive Sept 17!!! (really think I should take my husbands temp!!)
lau.gif

Yeah, I was surprised at how easy it was to find a home for my extra roos. A sign on the bulletin board at the library branch did the trick, but it was a little hard to part with em. Turns out the woman who took them is someone my SO has known his whole life, so he assured me they were getting a good home. She has 80 hens, but no roos until she got those three from me. My little brahma boys musta thought they'd died and gone to heaven. Sure hope those hens didn't hen-peck em too bad.
tongue.png

Quote:
I bet those roo's WERE in heaven LOL bet they were thrilled with their new home! and HAPPY!

Back
Top Bottom