Oregano oil for chickens

The compound carvacrol found in oregano has been found to stimulate the immune system of the gut of chickens (along with capsaicin in hot peppers and cinnealdehyde in cinnamon). The highest concentration is found in the oil. That being said, I will feed minced hot peppers, oregano leaves, and garlic to my chicks about once weekly while in the brooder (and give the adults the leftovers) instead of going for essential oils...the oils are potent stuff and you can overdose if not careful.

Oregano is in the mint family and really easy to grow in the garden to provide a cheap, continuous supply.
So let me ask this... can ACV, oregano and garlic be put in the water all at one time or does it need to be done separately on different days??? This can be given to baby chicks once a week in the brooder? I have learned so much from this thread. Thanks to everyone for their input

So let me ask this... can ACV, oregano and garlic be put in the water all at one time or does it need to be done separately on different days??? This can be given to baby chicks once a week in the brooder? I have learned so much from this thread. Thanks to everyone for their input

There's no reason that I can see that you would not be able to give all at once if you wanted. Enjoy your chicks.

You can do it all at once, but I wouldn't do it everyday or it will kill off the natural microflora in the gut.

Could u maybe add a drop of dōTERRA oregano essential oil to a gallon of water for chickens? It's the best grade u can get but not sure how much is safe to use

I don't know ... it is very strong stuff. I would not use very much, as I don't with humans either. I'd probably isolate a sick or potentially sick bird, and put a couple drops in a quarter cup of water, leaving no other source for drinking. If one were to use it proactively in a large flock, it would indeed by expensive!
I agree! If you have even taken a drop of oil of oregano and put it in your mouth, you will never do that again. While I know of its beneficial properties in killing bacteria, I am not sure how one would use it with chickens. I think I would have it way diluted in water or whatever it is put into. I've burned my mouth on this stuff. But I'm sure it works as a natural anti-biotic if we could learn how to use it properly.

I was reading this thread, and it seems like some might be confusing two different things when they say "oil". The really strong stuff in very small bottles is an essential oil, and a highly concentrated solution made by a distillation process, usually steam. Putting oregano leaves in oils and letting them steep is an extraction, and is not anywhere near as concentrated. Oregano essential oil is too strong to use full strength on the skin.
Maybe try making a tea of oregano as another way of giving it in water? Different herbs have different active ingredients that are best extracted by either water, alcohol....and then there is oil, not sure what caegory that falls in, but it is a traditional method for herbal use.

We have a sick hen that I think has a crop issue, not sure what. But I've been treating her with Oil of Oregano with Piperine. We bought it from www.firststatevetsupply.com. Not totally out of the woods yet, but wow she is so much better today! Been on the stuff for three days now. I'm getting excited about this stuff!
Hi I know this was a while back...but...do you remember how your bird faired on the Oil of Oregano? We have a hen with the same issue. She got better then back in the same condition a week later. I think the yeast/bacteria infection in her crop never cleared up completly.

Hi, I'm sorry, but I can't remember which hen that was...I wish I'd referred to her by name. I don't remember any of our birds being cured by Oregano Oil, but it is a good thing to have around, and I know some commercial farms use Oregano, as it is a sort of natural antibiotic and very good for gut issues.

Back
Top Bottom