Oregon bill seeks to criminalize breeding/raising livestock for meat

Pics
I actually think keeping pigs indoors is pretty inhumane, and probably less sanitary than outdoors because the moist, dark, crowded conditions
I’ve never seen crowded conditions indoors. Pigs are susceptible to many things, and there are many reasons to keep them indoors.

particularly those we raise in captivity for our own purposes
Hence all the antibiotics factory farmed animals are given.
Captivity for own purposes: here is one faulty argument made often between factory farms/raising own. MOST people cannot raise (or do not want to raise or do not have the means or health status) their own animals. A large (or even small) farm focuses their efforts on raising many of a kind of animal. Drive through the country and you’ll pass a whole lot of homes with land that do not have animals. It is a false comparison to try to indicate a backyard/hobbyist and any kind is production farm are (or should be) the same.

antibiotics: highly regulated. Use in animals for consumption highly monitored. It’s not a few-for-all out there of antibiotic use in animals going for slaughter.

It has been my experience that the news media, whatever you might think of a particular source, is VERY VERY bad at reporting on the law. Even setting aside the bias of the various sources, the choice of language on all sides of the political spectrum suggests that either their writers don't know what they are talking about, or they deliberately leave out important context and more exacting language in the belief their viewership/readership won't understand it.

I find it particularly frustrating when the Supreme Court is reported on, as I find the HOW the Court reached its decision to be more important, in the long run, than WHAT decision they actually reached in many cases.

tl;dr I understood why you reported as you did - its how it was reported to you (and essentially everyone else).
I actually heard it through word of mouth; I don't watch mainstream news anymore, partly for the reasons you stated and also because it's all incedibly partisan and selective in what they report, not to mention sensationalist. But presumably someone at some point referred to it as a bill, and that language got repeated through the grapevine until it reached me.

Captivity for own purposes: here is one faulty argument made often between factory farms/raising own. MOST people cannot raise (or do not want to raise or do not have the means or health status) their own animals. A large (or even small) farm focuses their efforts on raising many of a kind of animal. Drive through the country and you’ll pass a whole lot of homes with land that do not have animals. It is a false comparison to try to indicate a backyard/hobbyist and any kind is production farm are (or should be) the same.

antibiotics: highly regulated. Use in animals for consumption highly monitored. It’s not a few-for-all out there of antibiotic use in animals going for slaughter.
There is a spectrum of farming practices. Not every production farm is a CAFO. People like Joel Salatin raise lots of animals on pasture in healthy, sanitary outdoor conditions and still make plenty of money doing it. I get all my meat from a local farm that does the same thing. Perhaps there are farms that raise pigs indoors that are not CAFOs, but in my opinion their pigs have a lower quality of life, and the meat of a lower quality, than in a setting that better mimics their natural environment.

And whether you're raising them for yourself on your own homestead, or to sell the meat at market for profit, it's still for our own purposes. My point is that livestock are not companion animals; they are raised for meat (or eggs or milk or whatever). To me that implies a commensal relationship; they provide us with food from their bodies, and we, in turn, are morally obligated to provide them with food, a healthy environment, and protection from predators. When you commoditize animals to the point where they're kept in battery cages with no space to turn around, fed garbage to keep them alive even though their health suffers, mutilated to prevent them from fighting each other, force-fed excessive amounts to blow up their livers, or tied up so they can't move so their meat stays tender, and then killed at a young age so we can eat them, then it seems to me that's inhumane and exploitative, and disrespectful of our fellow creatures that lack the capacity to protect themselves from the dominant lifeforms on the planet.

All I gotta say is:

eat meat eater GIF by Gifs Lab
Let em eat meat. There's nothing wrong with eating something we're meant too eat.

Never seen an autopsy? I was thinking more about how a pig looks when it's being butchered, which I have seen. I wasn't comparing cooked pork with prepared human meat.
There is a difference between a carcass and meat. A pork chop and a rib eye are similar cuts of meat, but even raw the color and texture and taste are different. I know that in some South Pacific languages human meat literally translates as long pig. But I don't think anything in my experience would let me look at meat and guess that it was human based on appearance. And I'm happy to be that ignorant.

The term is probably apocryphal, originating in the late 1800s, popularly reported in the oft sensationalist media, and ascribed to some unnamed cannibal tribe (location varies) whose language no longer exists, as reported by some far off explorer.

That said, pork is remarkably similar to human in many important ways - one of the reasons its used for organ graft studies. Heparin, and a number of other drugs are derived from pig. Their skin is used in early dermal absorbtion experiments for transdermally delivered medication dosages etc.

The term is probably apocryphal, originating in the late 1800s, popularly reported in the oft sensationalist media, and ascribed to some unnamed cannibal tribe (location varies) whose language no longer exists, as reported by some far off explorer.

That said, pork is remarkably similar to human in many important ways - one of the reasons its used for organ graft studies. Heparin, and a number of other drugs are derived from pig. Their skin is used in early dermal absorbtion experiments for transdermally delivered medication dosages etc.
Weren't they also originally used for insulin? Or was that sheep?

Back
Top Bottom