Oregon Fall Poultry Swap - October 22 - Corvallis @ the Fairgrounds!!!

Quote:
Actually, this was the first time ever that we had any at the swap. We are usually all too busy to even think about it and with people driving home...well, I just don't think it's an issue. We should save the tipping back for the slumber parties - which I still think we should have! And again, if people want it moved to a private location, even a campground type place, we are going to lose sales. For this area you need to be public because people don't usually come looking and Craigslist and flyers only seem to do so much. Word of mouth is spreading here and people are excited to have it at a very central location.

I don't want any misunderstanding, lol we weren't boozing it up at the swap...we just had some wine and mead sampling going on (which was so good! Want some more of that Zanna...). Unfortunately we won't be able to have that at the fairgrounds. I honestly don't think we are allowed to have any alcohol at all for sale even for private consumption off property. You need liquor licenses for that I'm pretty sure or a permit at least.

Zoomummsy, you are correct, it is not legal to sell homemade brew of any kind here in Oregon. Not to say you couldn't do some trading though............

I like the idea of more traffic and the use of the fairgrounds. Honestly though, did any of the extra traffic at the swap buy chickens/poultry?? A few people did buy honey and maybe some of the other goods, I don't know. Even if they are not buying poultry though, it is good PR for the next spring swap, might get more people to come that would not have known about it.

If a weekend is chosen that also has a game going, wow, I can't imagine the parking/traffic issue....... I-5 looks like a parking lot on game days!

It would also be really fun to have it here on the farm, the offer is open anytime in the future that we can co-ordinate dates. DH has offered to do a blanching/chicken plucking demo with his wizbang plucker he made. That offer also stands open anytime. (This could be done far away from those who don't want to see something like that, the farm is large)
smile.png

Quote:
Zoomummsy, you are correct, it is not legal to sell homemade brew of any kind here in Oregon. Not to say you couldn't do some trading though............

I like the idea of more traffic and the use of the fairgrounds. Honestly though, did any of the extra traffic at the swap buy chickens/poultry?? A few people did buy honey and maybe some of the other goods, I don't know. Even if they are not buying poultry though, it is good PR for the next spring swap, might get more people to come that would not have known about it.

If a weekend is chosen that also has a game going, wow, I can't imagine the parking/traffic issue....... I-5 looks like a parking lot on game days!

It would also be really fun to have it here on the farm, the offer is open anytime in the future that we can co-ordinate dates. DH has offered to do a blanching/chicken plucking demo with his wizbang plucker he made. That offer also stands open anytime. (This could be done far away from those who don't want to see something like that, the farm is large)
smile.png

I don't know about the extra traffic buying chickens....some did look at mine though, but weren't prepared to buy (no cage, etc). I am open to the farm idea too...at anytime...I'm just not sure which direction members want this event to go. I guess my only opinion is at some point, all of us are going to be swapped/bought out between just us members lol so opening it to the public more will move more chickens and bring people more money. Just looking for ideas...

And I agree, no game days. We are going to have to share the place with other events. The fairgrounds is notoriously busy all the time but that is not really a bad thing....

Last edited:
Yeah, I wonder about that too. What portion of your sales were reserves vs. the drive-bys?

Maybe the happy medium is the little of both scenario? A major road with traffic and a fairgrounds for sales and publicity with a campground or farm nearby for the slumber party.

I also wonder how far people are willing to travel to attend? I'd go about 5 hrs, or so, depending on some things (weather, supply, demand). I'd go a lot further if there was something there I really wanted.
tongue.png
, or if it was in a nice area to explore. We have a camper and horse trailer.

I'll be a this one provided I'm in town and my Boss didn't kill me... She's coming back from sabbatical and I am supposed to be doing my preliminary exam then! And being a student here at OSU... I make sure my game-savy co workers inform me of when game days are, so I can get everything done on campus by 8:30am, and either leave town or hide for the rest of the day. They start putting out parking lot guards at like 6:30 on game day!!!

Monday, September 26 is the first day of fall classes... so that might be something to take note also, if we want it before or after the students come back to campus. Summer in Corvallis is nice and quiet... LOL

Slumber party sounds like fun! But, in all honesty, it's not really my kind of thing and I'd probably have to head out in time to make dinner. A half day event is about all I can manage to pull off... especially if I bring birds back and have to pop into lab before 10am the next day. Having a swap on a farm does sound pretty fitting! 1.5 hours is about my limit in driving distance from Corvallis.

I want to say sale wise, I probably sold a good number to passerby's as I came back with almost no vanilla. I'd say only 1/4 of them were reserved. And of the plants, not that I had many, had almost no reserves and the rest were passer by's.

A wizbang plucker and something other than a balcony... would have been awesome for 25 birds. LOL

There is a brand new (last year) RV Park right off I-5 at the exit to our farm (#244). It would also be possible for people to camp on the farm but there would be no electric/water hookups, those all got removed when the decision was made to cancel our big horseshow permanently. There is plenty of water/electicity in the barn, two restrooms and two tackrooms with extra sinks, but parking to accomodate all would most likely need to be in one of the hay fields. If we chose to do the swap out in one of the farther away fields (for shade reasons, parking, etc.) we would probably need to rent a porta-potty as it could be quite a hike up to the barn!

If its in Corvallis, I would really love to come. Of course I gotta see how life works out for me, but if its doing good....I would love to be there, just to have fun, no more chickens of course.
wink.png

Sorry I missed you all last time, it looks like fun was had by all.

Quote:
What what do you expect? She's soooooo cute! Yeah, I think I did a good job. I sold some of your soap and a roo!
big_smile.png
BTW, my DH thought I said the black cochin was a roo. I could have bought her from you!

She laid an egg at the swap, so I'm positive my black cochin is a girl! Maybe I'll bring her in the fall....

I might be at the bend swap so....

Zoo,
Krista and Peanut are settleing in just fine. Krista is under the impression she is a silkie. She's hanging out with them all day. Peanut does her own thing. She's been in with us mostly but I put her out with Krista and the silkie/cochin gang and she's just fine there too. They are very spoiled girls! Good job!

Back
Top Bottom