Oregon Fall Poultry Swap - October 22 - Corvallis @ the Fairgrounds!!!

I'm in so much trouble!
hmm.png
I post things on this site that I don't want husband to see.
roll.png
(can't write about somethings on FB, he is on there from time to time)
tongue.png

I just won a bid on ebay for................turkey eggs!
cool.png

big_smile.png
My thinking was...well the incubator is out..and on.....oh why not.? They are royal palms, so they are smaller. And it is only 4 eggs. If one hatches, that would be ok. right? Oh well......What is one more...............
wink.png

lol.png

Laura,
5 new babies!! 3 to go!
lol.png

Quote:
My first thought would be a rat but only because I had one tunneling underneath my coop like that. Didn't bother the chickens, just came out to eat any scraps or food they might have dropped. I would set a trap at night after the chickens are in the coop. It took my husband a month but he finally caught it.

The rats and mice use the tunnel system in our barn and the chicken coop has few openings too... after a time yo can tell they are abandoned. The mice and rats are very quiet and sneak the chicken food from the feeders but leave all else alone. When the dog kills one they are very fat and large
smile.png
I also have a few squirrels that come down from the Cedar trees that also get their share of feed once the chickens have gotten their morning fill and are off roosting/resting/dust bathing.

Quote:
My first thought would be a rat but only because I had one tunneling underneath my coop like that. Didn't bother the chickens, just came out to eat any scraps or food they might have dropped. I would set a trap at night after the chickens are in the coop. It took my husband a month but he finally caught it.

Hadn't thought of a rat. You would think with all the cats in the neighborhood we wouldn't have any. You would not believe what my husband just said!!!!!!
smack.gif
I was telling him about the rat. (now you have to understand, this man is strickly a city person.) First he looks at me (with a scared face
ep.gif
) WE HAVE RATS?? he screams. Then a few minutes of explaining...No (he says) it just moles. (now the unbelievable part.)
hide.gif
"Tonight when you go out to check the hens, PEE in the hole." (Wha..What??!!) He tells me he has read somewhere if you pee in the mole hole, they will go away. (Now I look at him..
ep.gif
) "Jim, I'm a girl. I don't think I can hit such a small hole. You will have to do that."
Oh (he
hide.gif
smiled at me) I guess you are right, I forgot." MEN!!! What was he thinking??!??

lau.gif

Rats?

I swear rat traps were designed for mice.

230_rat.jpg

That little guy was fat on chicken feed... live traps were the only way to get rid of them ever since my rat catching feral disappeared. Most don't touch them this size. But if anyone has seen a city rat, those things are HUGE. This guy is small in comparison.

The Black Copper Marans pullet I brought home from the last swap finally laid her first egg today! I was excited to find it in the nest, and just wanted to share. It's the beautiful dark egg in the center. The other two are from an Orpington and a Polish just for comparison.

82361_bcm_marans_first_egg_041.jpg

Back
Top Bottom