Lump (abcess?) on rooster.

Somewhere_In_The_Clouds

🎶 Smile at the people, even if it's fake 🎶
Premium Feather Member
Nov 12, 2022
Australia
Found a very large lump on a family member's Polish rooster. I cleaned away the scab and feathers but I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at or what the next steps would be... does this look like an abcess?
20240524_164504.jpg

20240524_164422.jpg

20240524_164403.jpg

20240524_164414.jpg

20240524_164409.jpg

Is it squishy or hard? If you give it a squeeze done anything come out of an opening?

Honestly looks more like a tumor to me, in which case you can't do much. At the very least I'd keep it clean and apply some sort of wound spray on it and make sure no maggots start popping up.

Could there have been some pecking to the rooster’s back by flock members. It does look bulbous, so an ingrown feather cyst, a skin cancer may be a possibility. If it grows larger and develops a crater on top, that can be squamous cell cancer. Ingrown feather cysts can come in groups and there may be pus and ingrown feathers inside when explored. Feather picking can injure the skin and cause swelling and infection.

Is it squishy or hard? If you give it a squeeze done anything come out of an opening?

Honestly looks more like a tumor to me, in which case you can't do much. At the very least I'd keep it clean and apply some sort of wound spray on it and make sure no maggots start popping up.
It's hard but I wouldn't say rock solid. I haven't done anything more than clean up the scab cause it kept bleeding.
Could there have been some pecking to the rooster’s back by flock members. It does look bulbous, so an ingrown feather cyst, a skin cancer may be a possibility. If it grows larger and develops a crater on top, that can be squamous cell cancer. Ingrown feather cysts can come in groups and there may be pus and ingrown feathers inside when explored. Feather picking can injure the skin and cause swelling and infection.
There may have been but this isn't my chicken, the most I've done with them is lock up at night every now and then. He is the only rooster and is only with Polish hens.
Would it be worth trying to aspirate it with a needle to see if there's any pus? I'm hesitant to go cutting it by myself.
I've currently got him separated now that it's more exposed to avoid it getting picked at.

Back
Top Bottom