Dark red lump under wing

Your description of the lesion being a lump points to it being a cancer, not a wound. Wounds heal. Cancers keep getting larger and uglier.

I would treat it as a wound and then watch it. If you have the fortitude, I suggest debriding to get a handle on the infection, if that's what it is.

To do that, use a dish detergent with a high percentage of surfactant. In the US, that would be Dawn dish detergent, which is used not just on dishes, but as a degreaser in garages and as a toilet de-clogger.

Apply the detergent full strength to the lesion and let it sit for ten minutes. Then apply warm compresses to the scab until the scab turns to jelly, then scrape it off. Wash the wound well and apply Manuka honey or a thick coat of a triple antibiotic ointment. Keep the wound moist with one of these wound dressings and watch if it heals or gets larger. That will then tell you if it's cancer or an injury.

Found the dishwashing liquid with surfactants. Trying to debride now.

Attachments

• 17129115713817747964323419438902.jpg
    17129115713817747964323419438902.jpg
    408.9 KB · Views: 23
  • 17129115881375124429486890701862.jpg
    17129115881375124429486890701862.jpg
    467.2 KB · Views: 23
It looks a lot like a very large bumble, but a very odd place for it,
I agree try soaking her in warm water with either Epsom salts or Betadine for about 30 mins (make sure it it totally covered) then see if you can find out if the scab is movable and you can see underneath.
Does it hurt her when fiddled with ? If not I am tempted to say leave it be and keep a close eye on it. But carry on the warm baths.
If the scab can be removed and it looks like a bumble you are probably going to have to cull as it’s so close to her heart and operating is impossible in my opinion.
If it’s not a bumble ? 🤷‍♀️
Update after new photos, hell ! I’d bath and try to debride then put on antibiotics with a strong cream and a dressing. No walking either and feed high protein. Poor love.
If you can’t debride I’d cull 😢
Hugz

Last edited:
It looks a lot like a very large bumble, but a very odd place for it,
I agree try soaking her in warm water with either Epsom salts or Betadine for about 30 mins (make sure it it totally covered) then see if you can find out if the scab is movable and you can see underneath.
Does it hurt her when fiddled with ? If not I am tempted to say leave it be and keep a close eye on it. But carry on the warm baths.
If the scab can be removed and it looks like a bumble you are probably going to have to cull as it’s so close to her heart and operating is impossible in my opinion.
If it’s not a bumble ? 🤷‍♀️
Update after new photos, hell ! I’d bath and try to debride then put on antibiotics with a strong cream and a dressing. No walking either and feed high protein. Poor love.
If you can’t debride I’d cull 😢
Hugz
I wasn't able to get anything off after I put the dishwashing liquid on.

I tried to feel her bones and nothing seems broken.

It seems to be hurting her but you know how chickens are. It's so difficult to tell.

The lump is pretty hard and attached.

I'll try the bath.

Thank you for your quick response and sympathy.

I wasn't able to get anything off after I put the dishwashing liquid on.

I tried to feel her bones and nothing seems broken.

It seems to be hurting her but you know how chickens are. It's so difficult to tell.

The lump is pretty hard and attached.

I'll try the bath.

Thank you for your quick response and sympathy.
If you do manage to take the crust off the wound please be prepared that she still may not survive as the shock and stress of the event could be too much for her.
I wish I could be with you so I could try to help you through this but I will keep the site open for the next hour so I am here if you need me.
Best of luck
Hugz

I've found that you can debride a cancer lesion with hot compresses better than just soaking. I use very hot water and keep refreshing the hot compress, but be sure it's not hotter than your hand can handle so the chicken doesn't suffer a burn. The hot compress should dissolve the scab. I have had two such cancer lesions on chickens in my flock. One was on the back and the other is on a current chicken on the front of his hock. These current photos are much better than your first one and this does look like a cancer lesion.

These are painful. Aspirin can help, and also cortisone cream can also give some relief. My rooster is in mild pain and I use cortisone on his lesion. He seems quite content most of the time, not anywhere near needing to be euthanized. You will know when the pain is so bad that you must intervene when the chicken doesn't want to interact with the others and starts losing her appetite.

I culled her this afternoon. I am way too emotional over this. How can one sick chicken upset me so much in a world where KFC exists? They're a happy flock though. At least I know she had a happy life. Thank you all for your help. At least she isn't suffering.

Attachments

• 1712936088156374987412931911501.jpg
    1712936088156374987412931911501.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 16

Back
Top Bottom