Dark red lump under wing

Abigrayl

Chirping
May 2, 2020
Hello, my chicken was holding her wing awkwardly and when I looked underneath there is a horrifically big lump.

Does anyone know what it could be and if it's curable or if I need to cull her please?

I've learned the hard way not to let them suffer if they're very sick.

Attachments

• wing lump.jpg
    wing lump.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:
Looks like a tumour/cancer to me.

From your picture it is not easy to see where exactly this is located. Is it more to the back or right in the middle of the wing?

How old is your hen?

Do you have a rooster?

Last edited:
Hello, my chicken was holding her wing awkwardly and when I looked underneath there is a horrifically big lump.

Does anyone know what it could be and if it's curable or if I need to cull her please?

I've learned the hard way not to let them suffer if they're very sick.
It looks like the lump is right on her elbow. If it is, it's possible she broke her wing and the bone popped through the skin and then the wound got infected. But in that instance you'd likely have noticed sooner.

Edit to add: whatever it is it looks like the same nodules that chickens get on their feet when they have bumble foot, which is a staph infection. It might be something else but that's what it looks like to me.

Looks like a tumour/cancer to me.

From your picture it is not easy to see where exactly this is located. Is it more to the back or right in the middle of the wing?

How old is your hen?

Do you have a rooster?
Sorry for the bad picture.

It's in the middle of the wing.

About three months old.

I do have 2 roosters.

Is there anything sharp or pointed in the coop and run where she might have got caught and injured herself?

At only three months of age I would consider it rather unusual for a pullet to have grown a cancerous tumour of this size.

You could try to soak her in warm epsom salt water for 10 minutes to see if the scab might even partially come off, just to determine if it is a scab covering an injury or if it is rather a proliferation/cancerous growth.

Is there anything sharp or pointed in the coop and run where she might have got caught and injured herself?

At only three months of age I would consider it rather unusual for a pullet to have grown a cancerous tumour of this size.

You could try to soak her in warm epsom salt water for 10 minutes to see if the scab might even partially come off, just to determine if it is a scab covering an injury or if it is rather a proliferation/cancerous growth.
I try to keep the run safe but it's not impossible. There is an aloe (I'm in South Africa) in there although I don't know how she would hurt herself under her wing.

I will try the bath and see if I can establish what it is.

Thank you for your response.

Back
Top Bottom