Droppy Tail Wings, No Egg for Days

MGBYC

Hatching
Mar 13, 2024
Good morning, I have been checking this blog the lat few days but cant find any situation that seems to fit. My one lady is just under a year old, she will be 1 in June. On Friday (5 days ago) we noticed she had a badly poop covered butt and was being lathargic out in the yard. Saturday, we brougth her in and cleaned her in bath with baby soap and them a rise bath. Kept her inside with another sister who had also had a poopy butt over night. The next morning her sister was doing fine so she went back out but this chicken was still moving slow, holding her tail down and doing slow blinks. She was only making white milky poops. We gave her an epison salt bath and kept her in again monday night. On advice from this blog on Monday I feed her some soft foods, mostly bananas and blueberriess with some lettuce as well. She housed it down and started to give some darker poop. Tuesday her tail was up and she was clucking more and her poops were looking close to normal again, some green but mostly dark with a spot of white. She was also drinking water and eating her hard chicken feed. I let her outside with her sisters for a few house but she still seemed to moving slowly, she pecked the grass a bit but was really just standing still, kept closing her eyes and her wings were hanging low, so I brought her back inside. This morning I checked her crop and it was empty, I tried to feel for a egg but could not feel one (she has not laid one since at least saturday).

I was hoping on some suggestions on what to try next. She is much improved since Saturday but still does not seem to be 100%, the no egg also has me a little worried. Would antibiotics or yogurt be a good thing to try? We have been putting apply cider vingar in her water since sunday. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Welcome To BYC
I would give her extra Calcium for 5-7 days to see if she improves.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Welcome to BYC! :frow

I would do exactly what @Wyorp Rock suggested, plus, do your probiotics, but at a different time of day. I'm a big pusher of those because they can sometimes help many problems.

I hope she gets better!

We have crushed oyster shells in their treats they get everyday, is the Calcium vitiam gonna be better or mostly the same?

I am going to pick up some probiotics for her today. She is the is runt/smallest of our girls and I am wondering if she has ever laid an egg. We dont watch them closely enough I cannot recall if i've seen her in the box before.

She is also having trouble getting to the roost bar. She slept on the floor of the coop last night. She was able to get up it prior. She could not even jump/fly 12 inches up onto the blocks we have in the run. Not sure is she is just weak. Im hoping the probiotics will help her.

We have crushed oyster shells in their treats they get everyday, is the Calcium vitiam gonna be better or mostly the same?

I am going to pick up some probiotics for her today. She is the is runt/smallest of our girls and I am wondering if she has ever laid an egg. We dont watch them closely enough I cannot recall if i've seen her in the box before.

She is also having trouble getting to the roost bar. She slept on the floor of the coop last night. She was able to get up it prior. She could not even jump/fly 12 inches up onto the blocks we have in the run. Not sure is she is just weak. Im hoping the probiotics will help her.
Oyster shell should be provided free choice for laying hens.

Your hen is not well and some your description points to the possibility she's have some reproductive difficulties.
When you suspect something going on reproductive and a hen is in crisis, you give Extra Calcium to see if it will help her through the rough patch.
Calcium Citrate is quickly absorbed in the body and does not have to be processed, ground up and absorbed like Oyster Shell does.

Giving the Extra Calcium is just for a short period of time.

Welcome To BYC
I would give her extra Calcium for 5-7 days to see if she improves.

You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 in the vitamin aisle of stores like Walmart, CVS, etc. Give 1 tablet daily, just pull down on her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.

Back
Top Bottom