Oregon Fall Poultry Swap - October 22 - Corvallis @ the Fairgrounds!!!

I thought the whole "private event" that "happens to be open to public" was to avoid such issues of selling goods. If someone can't sell goat cheese because you have to be licensed at a "private event".... where would one draw the line? Are people going to need egg handlers, baking, business/vendor licenses at our "private" event?

Of course, I haven't really kept up with the happenings on this thread much due to work, so this seems rather shocking that someone would be so harsh!

Quote:
And maybe we won't be buying any goat cheese, but giving money as gifts to those we graciously receive gifts of goat cheese from?
big_smile.png

Quote:
Good idea!
Sorry you got hammered by the Craigslist Goat Cheese Patrol, but I'm also a tiny bit grateful that we found out now instead of later, like DURING the swap. That would have been kinda traumatic! Now we are all a bit more educated about Goat Cheese...

So is it illegal to make goat cheese and just give it to your friends?
big_smile.png

No, it most certainly is not
smile.png

And I agree, now is better.

Sorry folks but I have to say I am not surprised by the problems with goat cheese. From the sound of it the situation could have been addressed much better by the other party. Unfortunately there are SO MANY regulations about things like this and I would not be surprised to hear there problems with other items. I wish you all the very best in your swap and hopefully one or two miserable people won't be able to ruin it for you.

It's just another example of big brother. Heck in Wa. a person is supposed to register and pay a fee for each bee hive they have. Yeah right I am sure all the bee keepers will get right on that!

Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
I'm sure we will be fine the rest. Our event is listed as a private event open to the public. This apparently changes the rules on homemade items being sold. The fairgrounds likened it to a bake sale. Now if it was listed as a market, or public event, public fair, etc, then a lot more rules would apply. Apparently the dairy thing is something totally out of even this realm. The fairgrounds has held many events like ours that sell similar craft and food items and it has not been a problem. I spoke at length about this with them. We could even sell alcohol if I wanted to put out the $100 to get a license. It is probably just a good thing for people selling food items to have a sign on their table that these items are from a home kitchen. I have been told that covers everything just fine. Nutcakes is just fine selling their food since they have a license which covers them for everywhere they go. The poultry has all been cleared and everything else is not of concern to the government. I'm pretty sure we aren't going to get any of the local organic veggie growers jumping on us since what is coming to the swap is so minimal. Can't say about the honey but I doubt there is an issue. People sell honey out of their homes here in Philomath - large signs in their yard. No one is jumping on them about it. And yes, this was just another example of big brother and someone who feels very strongly about her hobby/profession. I'm cool with that. I'm putting it behind me and moving forward.
smile.png

Last edited:
Adding to my list of haves:

One clean faced blue LF Ameraucana pullet (will make pretty EEs or OEs)
Not one, not two, heck not even three, but FOUR black LF Ameraucana cockerels. One of them is clean faced, two are so-so, the 4th one is really a beautiful bird!!
NOTE: All 5 of these birds are split for lavender, and all are about 4 months old.
smile.png
All hatched from very pretty blue eggs.

Quote:
Thank you
smile.png
I'm sure we will be fine the rest. Our event is listed as a private event open to the public. This apparently changes the rules on homemade items being sold. The fairgrounds likened it to a bake sale. Now if it was listed as a market, or public event, public fair, etc, then a lot more rules would apply. Apparently the dairy thing is something totally out of even this realm. The fairgrounds has held many events like ours that sell similar craft and food items and it has not been a problem. I spoke at length about this with them. We could even sell alcohol if I wanted to put out the $100 to get a license. It is probably just a good thing for people selling food items to have a sign on their table that these items are from a home kitchen. I have been told that covers everything just fine. Nutcakes is just fine selling their food since they have a license which covers them for everywhere they go. The poultry has all been cleared and everything else is not of concern to the government. I'm pretty sure we aren't going to get any of the local organic veggie growers jumping on us since what is coming to the swap is so minimal. Can't say about the honey but I doubt there is an issue. People sell honey out of their homes here in Philomath - large signs in their yard. No one is jumping on them about it. And yes, this was just another example of big brother and someone who feels very strongly about her hobby/profession. I'm cool with that. I'm putting it behind me and moving forward.
smile.png

Our honey is extracted by a licensed honey house, that makes it legal for us to sell anywhere off the farm
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom