1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Oregon News Flash: Another Succumbs to BYC

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Chooker, Dec 13, 2011.

1. Chooker

Chooker New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    Hello from the soggy Willamette Valley! Country-at-heart, hubby and I are nestled in a college town 30 miles west of Portland and have turned our quarter-acre city plot into an urban farm. Meanwhile, we take great pleasure in keeping a mixed baker's dozen raised from hatchlings this spring. We have two SL Wyandottes, a GL Wyandotte, a Delaware, four Golden Comets, one Black Star and two Black Austrolorps and a Plymouth BR. What a color riot when they get to roam the yard. This is our second flock, but we are still learning - sometimes painfully - as we go. We also raise and show the rare, golden Palomino rabbit. After finding BYC through Google, I've enjoyed and benefitted from the forum for 3 years, but finally took steps to register.

In closing, I'd like to express my admiration of chickens, in general. They are not the stupid creatures the public is lead to believe! Not sure it was even possible, we set out to train our first flock to stay within the bounds of our unfenced yard, a corner lot...and after weeks of persistence, succeeded. Truthfully, I was dreading the necessary training sessions with the newer flock, but apparently the older girls taught the newbies without any help. Chickens - fascinating? Yes. Hilarious? Yes!! Stupid? Hardly.

The best part of my day is when they cluster around my feet "talking" to me...or follow me into the garden - always "chattering." Chooker

2. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

4. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    lol catchy title, i like it your creative, welcome to the BYC forum!

5. S&N Livestock

S&N Livestock Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2009
    southern ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

6. ghillie

ghillie Hen Pecked

Nov 13, 2008
    Colorado Springs, Co
    [​IMG]

7. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi chooker and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You have been assimilated [​IMG]

8. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    [​IMG] from Twentynine Palms in the California high desert!

Warning: BYC can become seriously addicting!! [​IMG]

9. silkymom1986

silkymom1986 The Silkie Villa

Sep 28, 2011
    Byhalia, MS
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from North MS!!! Glad you joined!! I share the same opinion, chickens are not stupid, mine are trained the same way, they never leave our yard and everytime we have added to our flock, the newbies catch on very quick!! [​IMG]

10. dadsdeercamp

dadsdeercamp Say goodnight gracie

Sep 24, 2010
    Mora MN.
    hi hello and [​IMG] from MN.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by