Oregon Spring Poultry Swap April 23, 2011 in Canby!!!

Quote:
I am so sorry to hear this
sad.png
Oregonjen has very nice Silkies.

So add to my want list a precious silkie (Oregonjen?). We are so sad today. She was one of my favorites of all the chickens. So cute. It's all my fault. I let them out in the open part of the yard.
hit.gif

So I think I have finally crossed over into that "other realm" of a chicken owner....or I've just totally lost my mind
lol.png
I bought myself an incubator for Christmas
ya.gif
: I'm pretty sure my husband won't be jumping for joy when he finds out (when is the key word there lol). I guess this means I'll have more stuff for the swap!

Hi All,

I would like some suggestions from those of you who raise ducks. I have room enough for four, and would like a breed that tolerates confinement with a small swimming area for most of the day, with opportunity to "free range" in a naturalized backyard a couple of hours in the afternoon/evening. I would like good egg layers that my kids could work with, possibly for 4-H. I would like to start out with ducklings. Thanks for your ideas ahead of time!

Janet:)

Quote:
Oh no! We might have to provide rehab. Read the posts on incubating and hatching ...very addictive!

Quote:
I have a trio of calls, and being a bantam duck, they are pretty easy for the kids to handle. As far as egg laying, they aren't the greatest, or so I hear, as I've only had mine for about 6 weeks. BUT they have tons of room in a 4x4 coop, don't need a "pond", mine just have a rubber grain pan which is plenty deep enough for them, and I put them out in an dog x-pen when it's nice out...
wink.png

Quote:
Laura, you crack me up! You DO realize how many roosters you're going to have now, right? LOL
gig.gif

And welcome to the "dark side"!
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh no! We might have to provide rehab. Read the posts on incubating and hatching ...very addictive!

Lol oh I'm already addicted thanks to Silkiechicken. I borrowed her incubator for 2 hatches last winter and my husband made me give it back because I was too into it
lol.png

Quote:
Laura, you crack me up! You DO realize how many roosters you're going to have now, right? LOL
gig.gif

lol.png

big_smile.png
wink.png

Yep, I know however, I do want Serama roosters so for this hatch I'm gonna be ok but I've decided (and promised myself) that if I hatch eggs just for the fun of it - no matter what they are and how cute they are, they have to go away while they are still chicks. You've all heard me say that, right? LOL

Quote:
gig.gif

lol.png

big_smile.png
wink.png

Yep, I know however, I do want Serama roosters so for this hatch I'm gonna be ok but I've decided (and promised myself) that if I hatch eggs just for the fun of it - no matter what they are and how cute they are, they have to go away while they are still chicks. You've all heard me say that, right? LOL

Oh yes, we've heard it all before...lol FYI, during Jan - April I can't keep chicks in the house, they go so fast via CL, BUT after April, chick sales slow WAY down...so if you want to sell chicks fast, hatch early and THEN STOP!
gig.gif
Oh yeah, and good luck with that whole "stopping" thing!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom