Oregon Summer Poultry Swap, Redmond, June 18th

I am not wearing a T shirt that says "cock swap". Forget it.

Because everyone is a different size, I think a chair would be a better prize. Those little cloth folding captains chairs can be had quite inexpensively and everybody can use a portable chair. Then no worries about getting a T-shirt that fits.

Also, the backs usually slip off, so could be laid out flat and east to work on.

Walltenters, if you are going to advertise on Craigslist, it might be a good idea to tell people to bring something to carry birds in if they are planning on buying. Those of us here already know that. The general public does not.

I've got another gentle suggestion, which I would like to see the group discuss.

I would prefer that the general public not be invited to the potluck. Two issues. Now that you've announced it to the public, we are sure to get freeloaders. The other issue, is that I will be happy to eat food prepared by anyone in this group. I am not so happy to eat food prepared by a total stranger who just wanders in off the street and might have some sort of agenda with livestock, or is simply crazy. Maybe not much risk, but too much risk for me.

There are too many wacko people out there.

Good idea Oregon Blues. When I sound out additional information for the swap, I'll leave off the part about the potluck. A few folks that had already emailed me already know, but thankfully it's not too many and they all seem pretty nice, several are also here on BYC but just check their emails more than the BYC threads. Unless someone on here has a protest about not advertising the potluck?

I think I'll make a big dish of shepard's pie. Not a potluck-type food I know, but it's cheap and I can cook a ton of it in my dutch oven and it can be served as a side - that way if we do have a lot of hungry people show up, they will have plenty to eat. I certainly don't want people coming for just the food, but I have no problem with folks that come being able to sit and eat and chat with us all.

Good point too about the back slipping off the chairs. I'm debating if I want to stencil on the lettering or just get iron-on lettering. I think the iron-on would be easier, but I'd have to buy a lot of them to get enough vowels (they never include enough vowels in the kits - cheapskates!

I'm pretty bad at painting!
smile.png

I'm really hoping to get to this swap! I wasn't sure before, but I would like to come... might have some jam, and some chicken-related crafts (I just posted some photos on the Fall swap topic)... I will get myself organized soon and get you a want/have list! Sorry, I've been busy, first with a sick roo (he got better!) and then with using the bit of sun to get some gardening done!!
roll.png

Quick update to my "Have" list. The Buff Brahma Bantams are no longer available. And hopefully Seabreeze may be taking the little blue splash marans boy. I do still have the 2 porcelain d'uccles and one very broody white silkie hen available. Will bring them to the summer swap if someone definately wants them, and if no one takes them before then. I love these swaps. Such a great way to mix and mingle with local poultry people.
smile.png
Look forward to getting to know more of you.

I can bring a nice big orzo salad. Is there power available to us at this even?

And is anyone bringing any garden stuff? Like heirloom tomato starters perhaps?

Last edited:
I am not sure on power, I would think probably not. I will find out though
smile.png

And hopefully my mom won't be all sold out of starts by then, and she can bring several. She's got some heirloom and some modern varieties to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom