Oregon

Howdy from NoPO, I have no eggs, and just ordered my first Incubator. Also would be interested in Bresse at some point. EE, Black Star, Cinnamon Queen, and Ameracauna. Hatch-a-long is a great idea! I.m learning things i didn't know I'd need to know, LOL..
Oh, what incubator did you decide on? I asked the egg vendors at my local farmer's market if their eggs were fertilized, so it looks like I'll be hatching a mixed of barred rocks, EEs, RIR and marans. At $9 a dozen and local I'm excited to find an alternative source to ebay/shipping. Food for thought when you fill your incubator :D

Hey OR peeps: anyone have Bresse/interesting eggs for hatching? I want to participate in this month's HAL and need 1-2 dozen eggs in the next week or so. Willing to travel a little ways outside of PDX for pick-up!
You might try craigslist. There's someone in tualatin with bresse chicks that they hatched themselves. I'm sure they have eggs available if you ask.

Hi I am in Goble. I became a chicken mom in August. I now have 8 young ladies who have just started laying.

Hi! In North Portland, with a double sized yard and 7 Pullets - our first week of eggs. Magic week 20 started it for us. Last 3 girls soon I hope. I bought an Incubator if anyone wants to use it or have me hatch - maybe in exchange for a few of the Chicks, or fertilized eggs when you are done?

Oh, what incubator did you decide on? I asked the egg vendors at my local farmer's market if their eggs were fertilized, so it looks like I'll be hatching a mixed of barred rocks, EEs, RIR and marans. At $9 a dozen and local I'm excited to find an alternative source to ebay/shipping. Food for thought when you fill your incubator :D
Mine did not have a Brand Name listed or on the label. The Booklet that comes with it says they have made them for 30 years. It takes 16 eggs, has a Candling light, Control Panel, and automatic turner. A squeeze bottle and side port for adding water to control humidity without opening the top. Hard plastic shell, but not fully on the top. Looks easy to clean. Did you set eggs for the Haloween Hatchalong?

Mine did not have a Brand Name listed or on the label. The Booklet that comes with it says they have made them for 30 years. It takes 16 eggs, has a Candling light, Control Panel, and automatic turner. A squeeze bottle and side port for adding water to control humidity without opening the top. Hard plastic shell, but not fully on the top. Looks easy to clean. Did you set eggs for the Haloween Hatchalong?
I'm lucky to be participating in this month's Hatchalong, though I got a slightly delayed start and will probably hatch around Nov 1st-2nd. I'm only looking to keep a few chicks myself, and would be happy to rehome a few hatches to you if you're interested. Right now it looks like I have 8 viable eggs. It's a really cool experience and I recommend hatching some on your own sometime. Gotta put the new incubator to the test!

How are everyone's flocks enjoying the chilly, blustery weather we've been having?

This will be our first cold season with the chickchicks, their coop has a ton of ventilation that was fantastic when it was 97F but now we're trying to balance that with the making sure it isn't drafty. They do roost above an old window that we tore out and covered over with hardware cloth - We flattened a cardboard box and cut it to size for the window and jammed it into the window frame for the night just to keep the draft out ans will remove it again for the day. It didn't get THAT cold last night, at least not here in PDX (I think it said it got to 37?) but it's going to get to 28 tonight. I know they'll be fine, but just curious how all you guys are doing and how your birds adapt.

I’m in the eastern side of the state, we’ve already been getting snow. The high today was 32. We put a heat lamp in the coop and put down a deep layer of straw to keep it warmer inside and the chickens have been doing well. During the day they don’t seem to care at all, we just have to make sure they have snow free areas.

Back
Top Bottom