Oregon

OK. So how long is too long to let a broody sit on eggs past day 21? Consider there was a couple times early on that the eggs were abandoned for maybe up to 12 hrs.
When I last candled 5 days ago, it appeared only 1 was still going. But I'm no pro. Today is day 22.
Also, the other day I learned what an actual rotten egg smells like, and how hard it is to clean off your hand.

Whenever they've been allowed to get fairly cold, you want to add at least a couple of days per cooling period, though I don't know if cooling more than once for that period of time would make for many viable eggs...

Yea. Thats kind of my thought. There is only 1 egg that might be viable under her.
The coastal near me is getting Meat birds this morning and was thinking about putting a few under her tonight. But I think it may be to early to give up on the last egg.

I am getting a rooster today! And yes I am excited!
wee.gif

25 days is usually the limit. Don't give up on that one yet. I had one, on day 25, as I was about to tosss it, heard a cheep from inside and it hatched that day. I had already bought a chick to give the hen and was just about to do a swap when I heard the cheep.... so give it a few more days.

Last night when I got home, I went to check. Well, I caught an egg eater in the act. And the broody was on a different nest. The eggs were cold as ice. The one egg that I thought had a chick in it did. But now it had 2 beak holes in it and fluid leaking out the holes. The chick was a gonner. Bummer. It looked as if it would have hatched today or tomorrow. And now the eggeater is in the fridge. On that note, she has to be 5 lbs dressed out. Isnt that a good yield for a DP Hen? She was a Speckled sussex.
So to make up for the loss of 1 hen and 1 chick, I went and picked up 7 more chicks.
ya.gif
But they dont count toward the "Chicken limit" the wife" enforced upon me the other day because they are Broilers. right?

Back
Top Bottom