Oregon

Are Black Marans or Welsummers OK climate wise? They are about 40 miles from me but they were hatched just a few days after our baby chicks (4/4) and I like the dark brown eggs.

Last edited:
Are Black Marans or Welsummers OK climate wise? They are about 40 miles from me but they were hatched just a few days after our baby chicks (4/4) and I like the dark brown eggs.

My Marans and Welsummers have done really well in the climate here (I am in Jefferson, about 20 m. South of Salem). No problems in the 5 years I have had them :) Typically my Marans lay a darker egg than the Wellies but both breeds lay beautifull eggs...........

Pics for you, Marans first, Wellies second with some leghorn eggs for comparison (these eggs were darker in real life and had lots of dark speckles):

My Marans and Welsummers have done really well in the climate here (I am in Jefferson, about 20 m. South of Salem). No problems in the 5 years I have had them :) Typically my Marans lay a darker egg than the Wellies but both breeds lay beautifull eggs...........

Pics for you, Marans first, Wellies second with some leghorn eggs for comparison (these eggs were darker in real life and had lots of dark speckles):

I am getting the chicks for Naomi's Farm Supply in Portland. She only had one marion left so I'll be getting one of each. I wasn't really looking for more chicks I just found the site looking for rock dust for my new raised beds.

The woman who emailed me and said they didn't loose a single baby chick this spring...pretty good considering two of the six chicks I got last week died the in the first 24 hours....

Last edited:
Those dark brown eggs are awsome!

Sorry about the loss of your chicks, sometimes they just fail to thrive, coccidiosis is also a common problem here in the wet/mild Willamette Valley :( You will love the Wellies and Marans both! I hope they do well for you.

The marans eggs are on day 5 in the incubator right now to be hatched for a friend at the Spring Swap.

I am planing to go the the swap. In case I am not the only one here who just found out about it:

Oregon Spring Poultry (and lots of other things) Swap
May 5, 2012 11 AM-4 PM Canby Community Park Camby Oregon.Its FREE, even for vendors.

Last edited:
I went to the Sswap last year and brought home and Easter Egger and an Ameraucana..... who proceeded to teach me about biosecurity....as they brought mites to my flock..... However, they are gorgeous birds and the EE is a total sweetie.

I'm just wondering..... if I have only a couple of birds to rehome...is that ok? I have a few chicks thati think are pullets, 1 young roo and 1 pullet. Can I just bring them? Would I need to register? What about quail? Are they ok to bring?

I went to the Sswap last year and brought home and Easter Egger and an Ameraucana..... who proceeded to teach me about biosecurity....as they brought mites to my flock..... However, they are gorgeous birds and the EE is a total sweetie.
I'm just wondering..... if I have only a couple of birds to rehome...is that ok? I have a few chicks thati think are pullets, 1 young roo and 1 pullet. Can I just bring them? Would I need to register? What about quail? Are they ok to bring?

Cloverleaf would be the one to ask for sure but you do not need to register and I believe set-up spots are first come first serve.......... Quail have been brought to previous swaps.........If you post on the Oregon Swap thread what you are bringing, you may get some pre-sales...........

Mites are disgusting but if our birds are exposed to any wild birds they can get them. I had never seen mites on any of my flock except recently on a hen who was rehabing from an injury. I let her roam loose in a horse stall bedded with straw, I think the straw fostered the mites along with this terribly wet weather and the mites liked the moisture around the wound under her wing. I dusted my whole flock with pyrethrin dust just in case, two treatments 12 days apart. If you have open air type coops and/or free ranging birds (I do), IMO mites are almost inevitable and treatments are a good idea...........They can usually be seen around the vent area if they are present. Sevin dust is an effective treatment, we have honey bees and Sevin will kill them so I won't use it. Part of my Spring Cleaning from now on will be mite treatment whether I see any or not!

I am planning on doing a thorough coop cleaning when/if the weather dries out and have been thinking of spraying oxine as a disinfectant. Does anyone know if it works on creepy crawly critters like mites in a coop? I understand dusting the birds is the first order of treatment, have not seen any on the chickens, yet. This winter a covey of quail moved into the garden. While I know they can be carrying mites and lice it is such a kick to watch the lead male size up the Brahma roo then boldly march his covey through the middle of the flock. The roo acts very confused and steps out of this little pint size bird's way.

Back
Top Bottom