Oregon

From a new owner perspective... i can tell you two things... Martha Stewart says that Ameraucana is a popular breed and that they have beautiful eggs. You can see it on her website. So when I think of the idea of backyard hens... I think Oh Martha says these birds are pretty, and they lay neat eggs. If, like me, you don't have an interest in breeding and showing, and you just want to know what type of bird you have because you're excited... then yes the stores and hatcheries should tell you what you're getting. You shouldn't perpetuate a belief that the birds have a pure breed charistiristic. Especially when the folks like me that are buying our backyard birds there, probably wouldn't mind either way. Sad.

Wilco will give you a copy of the chick varieties and the arrival dates if you ask
But then we wouldn't have an excuse to go "just see what they have".
wink.png

;) hello all,
New Egg here doing research for my first flock. Just bought property and can't wait, moving in June. I already ordered some Guinea Fowl from the Grange to help with the tick problem, they will arrive in May. We are looking at getting 8-10 chicks after we are settled. Want a very friendly breed that lays a good average amount. Any suggestions?

wink.png
hello all,
New Egg here doing research for my first flock. Just bought property and can't wait, moving in June. I already ordered some Guinea Fowl from the Grange to help with the tick problem, they will arrive in May. We are looking at getting 8-10 chicks after we are settled. Want a very friendly breed that lays a good average amount. Any suggestions?
Love my silkies and my old English game bantams. They are quite tame! But for egg production americaunas are great layers and lay such pretty bluish green eggs!
welcome-byc.gif

wink.png
hello all,

Welcome Amberr,

I don't have a terrible tick problem here in Grants Pass unless I'm working in the buck brush. I've never had Guineas but I would guess they would get up higher in the brush to find them.

I get both extremes here 100° in summer, 28° in the winter, my recommendation get what you like, Med. class may not like the cold but with a mixed flock they should have enough snuggle buddies to stay warm.

I read somewhere they lay The blue eggs but the can also lay green every once and a great while
Green eggs from a true Ameraucana would be a point to cull for unless she had absolutely amazing type, and you would still want to breed her to a cock that hatched from a very blue egg, to try to fix the green egg problem...because in true Ameraucana, green eggs ARE a problem... ;)

From a new owner perspective... i can tell you two things... Martha Stewart says that Ameraucana is a popular breed and that they have beautiful eggs. You can see it on her website. So when I think of the idea of backyard hens... I think Oh Martha says these birds are pretty, and they lay neat eggs. If, like me, you don't have an interest in breeding and showing, and you just want to know what type of bird you have because you're excited... then yes the stores and hatcheries should tell you what you're getting. You shouldn't perpetuate a belief that the birds have a pure breed charistiristic. Especially when the folks like me that are buying our backyard birds there, probably wouldn't mind either way. Sad.
Exactly!

Welcome Amberr,

I don't have a terrible tick problem here in Grants Pass unless I'm working in the buck brush. I've never had Guineas but I would guess they would get up higher in the brush to find them.

I get both extremes here 100° in summer, 28° in the winter, my recommendation get what you like, Med. class may not like the cold but with a mixed flock they should have enough snuggle buddies to stay warm.
Hey, I'm in Grants Pass, too!
I raise mostly Belgian D'uccle banties with the same weather conditions and most fare just fine. My coop is covered on all sides by barn, wood and tarp for winter, with heat lamps for the young'uns. They also get to free range everyday. I had predator problems at first, like raccoons and hawks, but haven't lost any for the last year to any. (but the year is young...)

Welcome Amberr,

Guineas are great tick getters, they will scout out brush at & above their head height and jump higher than you think to get at them! It can be very intertaining.
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom