Oregon

I'm in bend!!!
welcome-byc.gif
I'm even farther east -Hermiston area.

Old Mill Feed in Dallas, Oregon, is having its annual Chick Day on April 6. I already signed up for a couple of Cayugas, some blue laced red wyandottes, and some bronze turkeys. They're going to have a few thousand chicks in store and a sale on chicken supplies that day. If there's something you really want, you can sign up at the store, by phone, or by email otherwise, you gotta show up and wait in line. I think they sell what doesn't get picked up after 5:00, so you could also wait and see what's left over. Here's the link, but I don't think it's complete, because the one in store also had turkeys. http://www.oldmillfeed.com/livestock/livestock-resources/847-2/

Define "eye candy"? I'm just spit balling here but I do just want some pretty birds to lay eggs. I'm not looking to breed or show or raise for meat. Like I said I've been coveting the idea of chickens for YEARS! So I think I know what I want... you know how that goes. I've looked at so many birds I have the idea of what I want in my head. but I can only have 5. That's the deal I made with the husband. :(

After two failed attempts at buying from Farwest hatchery which is really close to us, we got some day old chicks from a guy in Sandy/Boring that I found on Craigslist. Two silver Wyandottes, two golden Wyandottes, two Buff Orpingtons and two (unsexed) black Morans. I was resistant to doing this but decided it was a better bet than dealing with shipping. I have to admit that they are much more active and peppy than the chicks we got last year from the feed store...now all I have to do is hope that at least one of the Marans is a hen!

If you don't want to go the craigslist route, Old Mill is having their chick day in April and they offer a class for newbies. We lost two of our 6 chicks we got there last year before the 2nd day but the remaining four where all hens, something you can't always count on from craigslist.

Last edited:
If you don't want to go the craigslist route, Old Mill is having their chick day in April and they offer a class for newbies. We lost two of our 6 chicks we got there last year the 2nd day but the remaining four where all hens, something you can't always count on from craigslist.

Old Mill may replace the chicks that didn't make it. Did you ask them? I was talking to their manager about that very issue last week. I'd give them a call if that happens again. Also, you can pre-sign up in store, by phone, or online for specific varieties to make sure they have what you're looking for. But you gotta pick them up before 5:00 on April 6 (Chick Day)

Just got back from wilco. Liz was so enamored with my daughter it was hard to get her to focus on the chicks! Lol. In her defense I'm pretty fond of my little girl too. Etta was being such a good girl with her hands in her pockets looking at the chicks. She's so excited. It really is cute. So in order to get the breeds I want I'm getting two separate batches. First 2 this Friday. The buff orp and rir. The 2 amercaunas and barred rock come at he end of the month. I know I'll need to separate them at first. But they'll be ok after a bit...right?

Old Mill may replace the chicks that didn't make it. Did you ask them? I was talking to their manager about that very issue last week. I'd give them a call if that happens again. Also, you can pre-sign up in store, by phone, or online for specific varieties to make sure they have what you're looking for. But you gotta pick them up before 5:00 on April 6 (Chick Day)
I want to be clear that I understand that Old Mill does a very good job with their chicks which is why I mentioned their 'chick day' in my post but for may reason, including the stress it puts on the chicks I decided to try to buy chicks that are hatched locally. I also completely understand that some chicks just chicks die and though I did let them know that two of ours died the first 24 hours we had them. I didn't want replacement chicks or a refund.

I want to be clear that I understand that Old Mill does a very good job with their chicks which is why I mentioned their 'chick day' in my post but for may reason, including the stress it puts on the chicks I decided to try to buy chicks that are hatched locally. I also completely understand that some chicks just chicks die and though I did let them know that two of ours died the first 24 hours we had them. I didn't want replacement chicks or a refund.

Sure. I hear ya. It's never a good thing when chicks die for whatever reason. It's been a few years since we got chicks we didn't hatch ourselves, so it's easy to forget the stress of shipping and the difficulty with handling such a quantity of birds at one time. Like you, I'd rather buy local from farms. We ordered what we haven't been able to find locally. We considered Farwest, but haven't gone yet. Is it worth the drive north? What did you think of it? I think there's also a hatchery near Corvallis, at least for waterfowl. But we haven't been there, either. Gotta save up, though before heading to a hatchery, because it's worse than shoe shopping, and far more addictive.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom