Oregon

b2e539efc452b68db6124ea2aded2686_zps46e2ec6f.jpg

Found my first egg today, not in nest but on the poop board! Broken of course, but wanted to know if they will figure out there are four nests to use?

I've got a red sex link who keeps laying in the coop. Burying it. And breaking it. Since I've only got 2 out of 6 laying its heartbreaking. I've tried new nesting materials. Golf balls etc. I have up and put a box in the coop where's she's been laying. Eureka! No buried or broken egg. Guess she just likes that spot. Sigh

Yea got my first egg. Its super small but a egg! I was starting to think it would never happen! But my rooster was kicking it what do I do to keep him from attacking the eggs? And how do I tell if they are fertile or not? I don't want to eat the wrong egg.

Yea got my first egg. Its super small but a egg! I was starting to think it would never happen! But my rooster was kicking it what do I do to keep him from attacking the eggs? And how do I tell if they are fertile or not? I don't want to eat the wrong egg.
They will get bigger, some pullets increase quickly, others take their own sweet time.
I'm unsure what you mean about eating the wrong egg? Fertilized eggs are fine to eat as long as they are not left under a bird to develope. Pullet eggs are to small to hatch, not big enough to house a nice strong healthy chick.

I have a rooster that will get into the nest box and try to call a hen in. I guess he is hoping for offspring.

Last edited:
They will get bigger, some pullets increase quickly, others take their own sweet time.  
I'm unsure what you mean about eating the wrong egg?  Fertilized eggs are fine to eat as long as they are not left under a bird to develope.  Pullet eggs are to small to hatch, not big enough to house a nice strong healthy chick.

I have a rooster that will get into the nest box and try to call a hen in.  I guess he is hoping for offspring.
[/quote
It is super tiny but I am super excited! That is what I was asking. I was afraid it was a stupid question but I wanted to be sure! Thank you :) lol that's a boy! I'm afraid my boys were not so happy about the egg they were kicking it around :( I hope they don't break my eggs. I only wanted one rooster ended up with 5! I have 34 birds so as long as no one is hurting each other I don't want to get rid of anyone I'm attached to them all. My boys like me my girls not so much unless I have treats then they are my best friend lol. This is my first flock I just started in February and I think I'm addicted!

I spent 40 years saying "I'll never have chickens!" Then DH wanted some for fresh eggs and I gave in. We started with 25 barred rocks going on 5 years now. I've added a few since my daughter is in 4-H poultry and wanted some bantams, then blrw's, found a few non-hatchery bantams, then basques to replace the sex-links and recently a few quail since they don't crow and lay cute eggs.

I haven't counted recently but there are at least 90 pairs of legs on the ground here. I guess I was wrong on never having chickens!

Hi, I'm in Clatskanie Oregon! Down on the Oregon coast. A little one stop light town
wink.png
Welcome,

I'm good with small towns, don't miss the traffic of Beaverton-Portland at all. I grumble now with rush hour gridlock in Grants Pass, we've got quite a few lights that aren't timed right and things get backed up.

Just got my heritage Turkey chicks from Porters yesterday. only lost two, the same breed. Now, if only Heritage Turkey farm (Plum Run ) would send theirs...but I think it would be better if they waited until cooler weather anyway. Didn't know turkeys were so cute when young, especially the Jersey buffs with their huge eyes.
Turkeys are very cute and very addicting. Looking forward to getting set up so I can order Porter turkeys some day. Love his website. He is the color genetics king!

Back
Top Bottom