Oregon

It makes me so sad. We love hanging out on the Illinois River in the summer. We were just camping at the trailhead and it was already so devastated from the Biscuit fire.

My friend just called me this morning, her pigs are having respiratory distress from the smoke. Not sure they're going to survive.

Oh my gosh! I heard about the air quality on NPR and realized it must be getting so bad down there. I used to live in CJ and feel in love with the Illinois Valley. I was there as an archaeologist post-Biscuit Fire to document resources exposed after the fire. If it is THAT scale, then wow, that's very sad. Makes a statement about our forest management or the climate... or SOMETHING. I hope everyone's critters will make do and get better soon.
fl.gif

As far as meat birds, that is a soap box I will get on briefly....buying Cornish cross meat birds not only supports Tyson (they own the genetics, and all those chicks only come from one of two hatcheries world wide), a company that regularly abuses chickens, but also continues the practice of breeding these monstrosities. It has been proven that Cornish cross chicks are in constant pain for the entirety of their short lived, due to their rate of growth.
If you want meat birds, that's yet another argument for getting into a truly dual purpose breed, that is an excellent egg producer as well as table bird. That is breed for its original purpose, rather than just for exhibition. It might take a bit of doing to find a good breeder that is doing the breed justice, but the rewards for a little bit of leg work will be huge.
wink.png
I appreciate this opinion and information as I have been having serious doubts about these Cornish crosses! They seem against nature. I have zero data to back it up, but something inside me says we shouldn't be breeding creatures like that!! I see I need to do some research on the matter.

2 of my new additions to the flock turned out to be Roo's. While the other new ones are starting to do the egg dance these 2 are starting the war dance with each other - just my luck. The buff orph is the larger of the 2 & they hatched the 1st wk of April. I am willing to meet up with in a reasonable distance ( I live in the Eugene/Spfd area). If you are interested PM me - Thank you :)

**** UPDATE ***** Buff Orph has been rehomed :)

Last edited:
Not a fire!! I don't want any tree or flower hurt or gone before I get there!! The girls and I have started packing up stuff we don't use often and getting rid of things. I am SO doing this!!

Back
Top Bottom