Oregon

The only person that has been here said his birds died of a dog attack .......... He was here 2 hrs i believe he may have handled his birds then came here and got new from me . my birds are now sick NO One else who has biirds have been here

Thank you for the clarification. You've just helped me re-think how I'm going to go about selling birds ... I've got some ducks to sell, and might be selling a lot of chickens, too, depending on if/how I decide to reorganize things here. I'd really like to move away from hatchery birds, and that would mean buying from local breeders, which will mean a whole other learning curve. And I would have to count on people giving me good recommendations about where to get the birds.

For selling the ducks, instead of inviting people to my bird area, I will put any birds I want to sell in a portable pen well away from the rest of the flocks. I'm not sure how to decide about letting someone handle the birds to inspect them ... I hate to be a jerk about it, but I would rather be a jerk than be a victim.

Hi,
I would not think that you would be a jerk for not letting someone handle your birds the person should understand why you will not let them touch your birds.
What breeds do you have we are looking for Rhode Island and Leghorn and if we can find near by Norwegian.
We are working on turning the tool shed into a coop.
wee.gif

Karen

Hi,
I would not think that you would be a jerk for not letting someone handle your birds the person should understand why you will not let them touch your birds.
What breeds do you have we are looking for Rhode Island and Leghorn and if we can find near by Norwegian.
wee.gif

Karen

Yay! Tool-shed coop! I'm all about repurposing things for the birds.

I'm not sure I'll be selling my chickens yet ... we're still in the active thinking mode of decision making about where to go from here, and have egg customers to keep happy during the transition. And all my birds are hatchery quality or mutts. I do have Brown Leghorns and Rhode Island Reds as well a a lot of other breeds, all of which are from either last September or last April. I've only got mutts that are younger. You'll probably be wanting to look for birds which are just coming up to POL, so around 4 months old. As mine are beyond that and hatchery birds, they might burn out soon-ish. I wouldn't want to promise you years of great eggs, but likewise I wouldn't ask as much $$ for these as a breeder would ask for better quality birds.

What I'll be selling first are Indian Runner ducks (one drake and up to 6 ducks) and Khaki Campbell ducks (one drake and up to six ducks), also probably one Rouen cross drake. These ducks are in their first summer ... about 5 months old ... except for the Rouen which is from late last fall. As far as I know they haven't started to lay yet.

So why would anyone want to come to anyone's chicken coop to make the chicks sick is that how they get their you know what off:confused: that is just so sad that someone would call that fun.
I'm sorry to hear how sick your chicks are here's to hoping they all recover fast.:yiipchick

Karen

Meow Back at ya Grins love your avatar , If this is what the vet thinks it is my birds will all be retested for carriers in 2 months all of them if ay make it threw this . I have 100 eggs in the bator i do nto know why but i just wanted to hatch eggs this is just before the guy came to my home so due soon. Regardless if it is another disease i will have to put all my birds down and burn the carcas NOT a DUMP Trip as there are birds there that can and would eat off the hides and become sick and carry them selves . So chances are i need a IBC full of Bleach so i can spray down everything coop , yard or maybe burn the coop and Spray my fence down Either way its not good . 
I do not think this guy knew or maybe he did but please if he calls DO NOT LET HIM ON YOUR PROPERTY and IF you love your birds do not sell that means the ones he got from me are now dead . He wanted to buy birds from my friend Roy who lives 10 miles from me he got roys name off craigs list went there unannounced then came here Unannounced .... sorry was wierd but when he used roys name the red flag left,. Yes i have warned roy and everyone about him and what is going on this is the only way i know to protectwhat we all love is to 1 get the word out and 2 be honest about what happened according to the vet ths is all over Oregon right now and i am case 19..... How many more have not reported it ? i know this guy did not 

How did he know where you both lived??

Hi,
wee.gif

Karen
I had just hatched RIR old style for a friend in my leahy last month they are safe when i am out of Quarenteen redo my whole area and know for sure i am safe i will be hatching my own birds again . I may loose everything i have if the tests come back as what the vet believes it is its automatic euthinization for me because they will always be carriers the ones due tomarrow may be safe but then again tests will tell if not again euthanization and thats going to kill my heart but i would rather be safe and disease free too and being sick is no fun in life and that is what would be their life always carriers so State vet said pray i am and still get teary when i think about what i am going to loose my roo the NY show winner is my baby comes for huge , lets the chicks eat before himself and wont allow bullying is well one that will hurt me the most

Back
Top Bottom