Oregon

hey guys and gals. I'm from bend.
Well, helloooooo BEND!! I live just south of you in La Pine...glad to "meet you"!!!!
highfive.gif

Yes, and I am going to have to go with the WSU Avian lab in Puyallup, only because their testing fees are cheaper. But it's about 3 hours away and shipping is the same. I really hope they are able to tell me why they are dying....
Please keep us up-to-date when you get the results...we are all curious on this terrible loss!

I'm on the hunt for good quality chicken feed...what do you use? I recently switched from Rogue to Buxton feed, but I cannot stand the smell of the Buxton feed (of all things!), especially if it gets damp. My chickens carry the scent since they've been eating it too. I don't know what ingredient it has that causes the smell, but it is an overly sweet smell that turns my stomach. I need to find something different and would love some suggestions.
Boy, that is strange! I use Purina feeds for my girls so I'm not familiar with the brands you stated. Would it be possible to "compare" the ingredients lists on both the Buxton and Rogue bags? Maybe by eliminating "duplicate ingredients" you might just stumble upon the sweet-smelling stuff...just thinkin' !!!!
idunno.gif

Thanks Farmer Viola. I spoke in detail to the Avian Lab at OSU yesterday. I was quoted the $48 for the necropsy and $25 for Histo Pathology. I was told I would need both services to check for Marek's. I walked the bird into USPS and was quoted $117 for next day delivery from SW Washington. Which is why I was asking for tips on a cheaper option, maybe locally.

If they are at the point of dying from Marek's, you can easily do your own necrospy. Hepatic tumors are easily seen, etc.
What are the signs? Age?

Boy, that is strange! I use Purina feeds for my girls so I'm not familiar with the brands you stated. Would it be possible to "compare" the ingredients lists on both the Buxton and Rogue bags? Maybe by eliminating "duplicate ingredients" you might just stumble upon the sweet-smelling stuff...just thinkin' !!!!
idunno.gif

Here is a link to a page listing the ingredients for the Buxton Feed layer 16%, "What's on the TAG is in the BAG," blah blah blah (similar pages can be found for their other products)

https://www.buxtonfeed.com/layer-16-.html

aaaaaannnnnnnnndddddd ...

The link to the page for Rogue Quality Feed's information on their 16% layer pellet (again, similar pages can be found for their other feeds)

http://www.grangecoop.com/rogue-feed-info/

ETA: I use yeast supplements for myself (and for my chickens), and though I like the smell, other people claim it "stinks." Nutritional Yeast has a cheesy smell to my nose, but I like it ... probably because it makes me feel "well" when I eat it, so my body has learned to sniff it out. Vitamin supplements can certainly "stink." Depending on how they are integrated into the feed, their scent can be more or less strong.

Note that the final ingredient on the Buxton feed is "cane molasses," and we know that is pretty sweet.

Note that the first ingredient of the Rogue feed is "ground grains," and that's not terribly specific.

Edited Again: The "plat proteins" listed as the 4th ingredient of the Buxton feeds isn't very informative, either.
wink.png

Last edited:
Here is a link to a page listing the ingredients for the Buxton Feed layer 16%, "What's on the TAG is in the BAG," blah blah blah (similar pages can be found for their other products)

https://www.buxtonfeed.com/layer-16-.html

aaaaaannnnnnnnndddddd ...

The link to the page for Rogue Quality Feed's information on their 16% layer pellet (again, similar pages can be found for their other feeds)

http://www.grangecoop.com/rogue-feed-info/
So have you compared the two to see what your 'sweet-smelling' ingredient might be?

So have you compared the two to see what your 'sweet-smelling' ingredient might be?

It wasn't me that had the question, but I knew how to answer the question because I had researched these two feed companies fairly recenlty. When I "interviewed" these two companies to see if I wanted to buy my feed from them, I decided against it for various reasons.

Buuuuuuuttttttt ...

I did edit my post to include some ideas about what the aroma might be.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
It wasn't me that had the question, but I knew how to answer the question because I had researched these two feed companies fairly recenlty. When I "interviewed" these two companies to see if I wanted to buy my feed from them, I decided against it for various reasons.

Buuuuuuuttttttt ...

I did edit my post to include some ideas about what the aroma might be.
big_smile.png
A-HA!!
Quote: Good grief! I didn't think a lot of 'sugar' was good for chickens...no wonder she's smelling that sicky sweet smell...aaaack!!
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom