Oregon

I'm in Wilderville, we see them occasionally but they leave us alone so far. Friends out in Williams have had the siding ripped off their coop and all the birds killed. I've been told hot wires at the top and bottom work pretty well but can't speak from personal experience.

I also use pine shavings or cedar. I like the smell of the cedar better. I live in Portland and even though my pin is covered I rake out the old stuff weekly. The water blows in sometimes. All in all I like the shavings and the girls love it when I clean it out. If there was lots of rain sometimes I will just through in a few handfuls to soak up some of the water and for them to be walking on dry shavings instead of wet ground.

I was using shavings in the run too until chicken chick turned me on to sand, it keeps the stench down better. We have a small coop and we pick it up and move it, I have two sand spots the size of the coop. We pick it up shovel the spilled food and droppings out then put fresh sand over that patch. Then in a couple of weeks move it back to that spot and clean the other the same way. We live in the city too and there is an ordinance about smell plus we're outside a lot in the summer and so are our neighbors. Someone else with a stationary coop fashioned a giant scoop out of a rake and hardware cloth.

ChickenDaddy523 I have been told not to use cedar by many people because yes it might smell nice but it has much finer dust particles the pine and can cause birds to have respiratory problems.

Yes I have heard the same concerns. There have been people who experience no problems and others that do have problems with the cedar. I prefer pine, but all they have at the feed store is cedar than that's what I get. I have had no problems with my birds either way. I am curious about using sand and might investigate that soon.

I still use pine shavings in their house and nest boxes. The sand is great though for the run! The barnyard stench is gone, just in time for summer!

Broodies anyone? I have two in the coop that don't have eggs under them. I have three hiding out. I found one nest and she had 16 eggs under her! I removed six eggs and put them under another broody and they both have hatched chicks now. I just found the third nest the other day and have no idea how many eggs she has under her! I had bought 15 Red Sex Links back in April and they are now out with the big girls. Chicken Math anyone? LOL!

I hear ya! 3 in one coop, 5 in another, and 2 others in other coops. It's been hot and DD has been a little slack in collecting eggs so everything got pulled today except the pyncheons eggs.

The longest setting Brahma is losing weight so she will find herself in an isolation cage if she doesn't quit soon. There is a blrw that may be right behind her!

So far I have only had a 1 black australorp, 1 barred rock, and 1 new hampshire go broody this year. The BR and NH stop after i take their eggs but the BA will just go find someone elses eggs to try and hatch-.-

side note I also try to stay away from Cedar(even tho the few times i have used it i have not had a problem) shavings but i do like using a mix of straw or hay with Pine shavings and the girls seem to really like it!

Also just got done not to long ago from moving from North Bend to Coquille!

Back in April I bought 15 red sex links and they are doing well and already mixed in with the flock. I have two broodies in the coop, but I keep removing their eggs. Three girls hid their eggs and I now have 22 new chicks between the three of them!

Back
Top Bottom