Oregon

How much space (feet by feet) will they have? There are lots of ways to entertain your flock....some you buy, some you can diy....hanging a head of cabbage (think chicken tether ball that is edible), tossing in a flake of hay, bag of leaves you stored away, etc for them to scratch in, putting in and then rearranging some roosts, stumps, a pallet on blocks, etc. Honestly I think folks are surprised at the conditions chickens will choose to go out in that first year, their idea of intolerable is different than ours.
Sorry I'm just seeing this.
Still trying to figure out how to keep up with threads I want to follow. "Watch thread" doesn't always send notifications if there are new posts.

Anyhoo the run is about 3ft wide x 10ft long, 4ft tall. Henhouse is about 3x3, including nest box.

I have 3 fullsize girls - RIR, Barred Rock & EE.

The coop says it can fit up to 8 chickens but I think they must mean bantams because to me it seems small for my 3. But then I spoil them. I feel bad when they are locked up because I know they love to run around the yard with their cute "donkey kong" waddle run.

I did wrap the run with clear plastic. And threw in a bunch of straw which they tossed around & got bored of within a day.

I'm not worried so much about the cold as the rain & wind. There were a few days when it got really windy & it seemed to freak them out.
I feel bad because the actual henhouse part is pretty small.

Hello! My rabbits and chickens (and dogs and cats) free range together in the yard, and since the wicked rooster has been re-homed, its been very peaceful -- except the rabbits LOVE the chicken's layer feed! It's pretty funny to have chickens and bunnies running at me full speed when I go to fill the feeders. Then they all share the food -- very kumbaya. (sp?)

I would *love* to have goats, but I'm in city limits. I'm pushing it with the number of chickens I have as it is......
Chickens & bunnies stampeding you? Cutest thing ever!!!! You have to post a video when you get a chance.
& Welcome to BYC! :frow

[QUOTE

I'm not worried so much about the cold as the rain & wind. There were a few days when it got really windy & it seemed to freak them out..[/QUOTE]

I worried about the same thing -- those first rainstorms took us all by surprise (as my hens are still young, and had never seen *rain* before!).

I guess I thought that they would naturally just hang out in their spacious (8X10), warm coop on bad days, but NO! The girls want out, rain or shine. If it's raining, they come barreling out the coop door, and race to the new covered patio we just built *for me*. We put hay under the built in bench seat, and have put up really unattractive wind breaks around it. When the rain is splashing in on the patio sides, and the wind is whipping around, I find the ladies nestling under the bench, against the house. I'm contemplating hanging old shower curtains or plastic around my beautiful new patio to make it more weather proof and warm. It's not like Sunset Magazine is going to put my patio on it's cover anytime soon now. (I just need an old fridge, and dueling banjos to complete the picture!)

When there are breaks in the rain, they cruise the yard. They also make dashes to the coop to lay eggs. They're adapting to the rain, and becoming Oregon Chickens.

Maybe you build some little forts for them, where you stash some treats? Give them some incentive to be out and about.

And then, be ready for the snow! Here in Oakridge the longest it "stuck" last year was about a week. This will be interesting!

(ps, I don't have a large yard -- less than a quarter acre lot, and most of it is filled up with the house and mother-in-law unit/garage)

Welcome @ChickenMannR !
Where are you? I'm in Aloha / Beaverton area. Lots of chicken folk around here & in Portland, seen people from Bend, St Helens, Klamath Falls.
Anyhoo glad to have another Oregonian here!
Do you have a big flock? How are you preparing for winter?

Hello @ChickenMannR...another Oregonian here..East Clackamas county. I'd write more on this, but by the time I get done looking up all my questions for the day, I run out of time, and my head is a'spinnin'. But, welcome!:frow I am new to chickens and have 28 in my flock, with 4 Roos and 24 Pullets. 5 Delaware, 5 Buckeye(1 roo), 5 EE, 5 BR, 5 Buffies, and 3 gifts: Mixed Ee/Amer/Polish crosses (all gorgeous Roos). We got so many at the start because I didn't think they'd all survive, but with all the advice on BYC, they have all come through beautifully! I am the most shocked of all that I was able to do this chicken thing!!! 20 wks old, and still no eggs. I go out expectant every morning, and alas, no eggs. :hitGood to chat with other Oregonians!!:thumbsup

Hey Oregon peeps! I have a few cockerels in need of homes and girls of their own! I raise rare BBS Breda and have a splash Breda boy and a blue Breda boy. I also have a gold partridge Brahma boy who loves being carried around. He is getting huge and it's funny carrying him around the yard to get berries and other treats because his feet dangle way down. Let me know if you would like one (or all!) of these boys! I'm in Boring but can meet in Portland or similar.
IMG_20171022_083849494.jpg
IMG_20171006_142504154.jpg
IMG_20171022_083802126.jpg

Hi I live in Hood River an I was hatching silkie chicks when I got them 5 were not fertile but three were so I hoped for the best yesterday only one hatched so I was wondering if anyone near buy happen to have any day old or week old chicks?

Back
Top Bottom