Oregon

Heya! My friend has two daughters that are wanting to start 4-H and are fixating on showing Barred Plymouth Rocks and Buff Orps, does anyone have any good quality pullets or chicks that will be available this spring or know someone that does? Even a point in the right direction would be much appreciated, thanks so much!
Are you thinking Large fowl or Bantam?
the bantam barred rocks are really stunning! good buffs in either bantam or LF are very hard to get.
also, if they are really enjoying it you might consider that they use one bird for 'showmanship' and another or so for 'conformation'

very fun for the whole family

Heya! My friend has two daughters that are wanting to start 4-H and are fixating on showing Barred Plymouth Rocks and Buff Orps, does anyone have any good quality pullets or chicks that will be available this spring or know someone that does? Even a point in the right direction would be much appreciated, thanks so much!

Sending you a PM. Tablet keeps loading adds and won't let me edit.

The hose was frozen yesterday, and today! I had to get a big bucket, fill it with warm water, and then pull it outside, then put it in the kitty pools.

I'm loving our cold DRY weather! More than once I've brought a hose into my bathtub to thaw out :( Still prefer this to the wet mud though!!

I'm loving our cold DRY weather! More than once I've brought a hose into my bathtub to thaw out
sad.png
Still prefer this to the wet mud though!!

I dont like it, a hawk got a Guinea hen, and cat got a Guinea

I'm loving our cold DRY weather! More than once I've brought a hose into my bathtub to thaw out
sad.png
Still prefer this to the wet mud though!!

I too am enjoying this time without the rain. The chickens are out running around more too. I thought that the Farmer's Almanac said that we were to have a dry winter and I have to keep reminding myself that winter did just start, so hoping for more time without rain...although rain is forecast for sometime today....

The hose was frozen yesterday, and today! I had to get a big bucket, fill it with warm water, and then pull it outside, then put it in the kitty pools.

Our frozen hoses have been causing some excitement, too. Last night I rolled one up and brought it inside so I would have something to use in the morning. We also wrapp up our chicken faucet overnight.

Are your daughters thinking of using them for showmanship birds or for conformation? Young kids can show the large birds but they are heavy and if your daughters are not tall it is more difficult to keep the birds above the table so the judge can see them measuring the bird. It can be done, it is just a little harder.

There is someone in Douglas County who had some nice BR. She was listing extras on CL last year. Not sure if she is doing them again this year .
Sorry, I haven't replied I have not been on in a few days. I am in college now and showed various bantams in 4-H throughout middle and high school. My friend's daughters seem fixated on showing Buff Orps and Barred Rocks, I am going to see if I can persuade them to be interested in different (hopefully bantams breeds). Neither of the kids are very old yet, so I think that large fowl would be harder to show at least for showmanship, I am going to see my friend today so hopefully I can persuade the kids to change their minds!
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom